PC Boots up... Rarely.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Echelon

About 3 months ago i had a problem with my pc. When i pressed the power button, it only went as far as the windows xp page then the monitor would get no signal and the mouse would go dead too, then the some of the fans stopped and it turned it self off. So every time i tried to boot the problem persisted. So i took it to the shop and they said my CMOS battery was dead and replaced it with a new one. Cost me 100 dollars for them to do that. Then it worked great for the next 2 months.

Now im getting kind of the same problem. It cant be the CMOS batter because it lasts for ages right?

Sometime it boots up normally and it works great like now but most of the time it goes up to the xp loading page and then turns itself off. Sometimes it shows the very first bios information page and it says:

Primary Master not detected
Primary Slave not Detected

Or sometimes it is

Problem with Hardware monitor check power options.

its really wierd and i dont know whats making it act this way.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. If you need more information ill be happy to supply it.

Thanks a lot in advance,

Echelon

check out ur power supply.. it must be maintained at 240 volts, use ups..

nyways 100 dollars for cmos battery lol :D.. now handy computer is available at 100 dollars:D

Welcome to TSG.
What is the make and model of the machine and how old is it?
Could possibly be a failing PSU or, if an older machine, the thermal paste might need to be refreshed.
Have seen that on some older Dells.
Also check all connections to ensure a solid fit.

edit: Agree that $100. is high. $4.00 for a battery and about 5 minutes work to install. Really?

Byteman

Gone but Never Forgotten
I' ve had many people tell me it cost $80 to $100 just to LOOK at the computer.....to diagnose a problem. That is what the fee is based on....often there is a minimum. Believe it. These types will always be around... there are good individual techs, that depend on reputation and word of mouth, so try to support these good guys!

$300-400 to fix a real problem, like a stuck program, update several programs, clean temp files..... of course you have a choice of format and reinstall everything, that is always an option because it's so guaranteed to fix it!

Yet people continue to pay these chop shops, and even buy highpriced parts that are half or less online for the same brand.
And I still have people ask me to come over to fix a printer, get there and it is not plugged in! I get like $20 for that and I feel guilty.

Yeah I had a client pay $300 to have a shop "repair" her hard drive which then died totally a year later. Like we know anyone who can open a hard drive and repair it. There are so many cons out there.
If it boots up ever it is probably psu and it could also be a dying hard drive.

If your power supply is in good shape, you might try completely disassembling, cleaning,and reassembling every removable component and cable on your motherboard. Pay particular attention to the condition or your IDE cables, as they are likely involved in the "Primary" errors you are receiving.

The cleaning is very important to cooling. Cooling is very important to stable operation. Thermal gel is cheap and effective. Airflow is critical.

Also, one other thing that has caused this for me (without the "Primary" errors) is a video driver update I installed that failed. The OS choked and shutoff just like yours when it tried to use it. "System Restore" solved it. I tried the driver again and it was still bad. Used "System Restore" again and deleted the driver update from my drive. No more problem.

Oh, and that is worth about $100 !

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online