Pc broken after over voltage

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

OliverQueenn

Hi fellow pc user,
To be quick I really need help to understand what happened to my Pc.
First of all, I have a very good pc gamer and yesterday, I had a overvoltage. I was playing with my friend using discord. When the power surge occurred, my fan started making an horrible noise ( like it was turning faster) then, my screen went black. I was still able to talk with my friend strangely. I then turned of my pc and tryied to restart it. I was just seeing a blue line on my screen. All my rgb are good and I know my screen is working because I plugged my ps4 in it.
Now I really need to know what happened? Is my graphic cards (gtx 1080) is broken or my cable.
By the way when the power surge occurred, my pc was plugged in a surge protector so I don’t really know how it is broken.
Now what should I do???
REALLY NEED AN ASNWER

Last edited:

crjdriver

By the way when the power surge occurred, my pc was plugged in a surge protector so I don’t really know how it is broken
IMO surge protectors are next to useless. They provide extra plugs however for protecting stuff, not so much. If you want real protection, get a UPS.
Next the only way you are going to find out what fried is to test each part in a bench or test system ie video card, ram, motherboard, etc.

If a surge did hit it might have zapped part of the power supply. Only way to reliably check the PSU is to unhook the PSU and hook up another one from out side the case with just the CPU power, GPU power and 24pin power to motherboard and see if you get a BIOS screen. PSU's can go bad on the 12Volt but still supply 5 volts for rgb.
Please provide as much detail about your computer as possible.
Need to know the, Operating system, motherboard , is it a manufactured computer (like dell) or custom build ; ie exact MB, exact CPU, exact GPU, Monitor cable, exact ram, exact pw supply, etc. Do not post 16gig of ram; post the exact brand and mode/part# do that for ALL of your parts

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online