PC bsods when playing online game

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

havik_racing

hi there, i have had this problem for a while now, i play wolfenstein enemy territory online, after about 30mins of gameplay or so i get the blue screen

'A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

technical information
***STOP: 0x000000D1(0x00000018,0x0000002,0x000000,oxf7246c8d)
***USBPORT.sys'

now this only happens when playing this game (only game i really play) sometimes i can play for n hour or two before i get the bsod sometime only 10minutes, i can browse the internet watch movies e.t.c fine,

the weird thing everytime it bsods the 'USBPORT.sys' error is always different here is a list of some of the different errors, nvdispl.dll,usbgcp.sys,win32k.sys, i will list a few more as it keeps happening,

I connect to the internet using a usb wireless modem, now i think the problem is either related to the usb modem or faulty ram or drivers im not sure, i ran memtest yesterday and pretty much after starting the test it comes up with errors. i have 2x 512 sticks of ddr ram i tried taking 1 out to find which is the faulty one so i take one out plug in the ac power e.t.c turn it on just beeps at me, ok so i take that stick out plug in the 1 i just took out it boots,but when loading xp screen little lines appear when loading applications and still bsods when playing game, so i'm really not sure,

connected to my usb ports are my usb modem, my g5 logitech mouse and usb speakers, if you need any more specific details feel free to ask thankyou verymuch for trying to help

i have reformatted this machine 4 times so far to no luck, i have a gut feeling that its something to do with the drivers i have installed for my nvidia nforce chipset, i did have a few problems installing the drivers when i first reformatted but after getting on the asus site i found the correct one, could it be possible my psu is on its way out?

Welcome to TSG---

i ran memtest yesterday and pretty much after starting the test it comes up with errors. i have 2x 512 sticks of ddr ram i tried taking 1 out to find which is the faulty one so i take one out plug in the ac power e.t.c turn it on just beeps at me,
That sounds like a bad stick of RAM--nothing you do with drivers will fix that.
ok so i take that stick out plug in the 1 i just took out it boots,but when loading xp screen little lines appear when loading applications and still bsods when playing game, so i'm really not sure,
That may be because 512 of RAM is insufficient to handle XP, your integrated (shared memory) video, manage the network, and play the game all at once.

Bad RAM causes all sorts of BSODs, some of which don't seem at all related.

PSU going south can also cause a bunch of different BSODs when stressing the system with an online game.

With a failed memtest and a boot failure on that one stick, I don't think you're going to see any improvement until you replace the RAM. A gig (2x512s is the max that board will support) of 184 pin DDR for that board starts at about 33 bucks at Newegg---there are many places to shop it.

Replace the RAM before the power supply--see how that goes.

havik_racing

Welcome to TSG---

That sounds like a bad stick of RAM--nothing you do with drivers will fix that.

That may be because 512 of RAM is insufficient to handle XP, your integrated (shared memory) video, manage the network, and play the game all at once.

Bad RAM causes all sorts of BSODs, some of which don't seem at all related.

PSU going south can also cause a bunch of different BSODs when stressing the system with an online game.

With a failed memtest and a boot failure on that one stick, I don't think you're going to see any improvement until you replace the RAM. A gig (2x512s is the max that board will support) of 184 pin DDR for that board starts at about 33 bucks at Newegg---there are many places to shop it.

Replace the RAM before the power supply--see how that goes.
Thanks for the reply The hound I am thinking the same thing, will grab some new ram in a couple of days and let you know my result, i just found it weird how the 'good stick' still continues to bsod, but yeah 1 stick of ram to run xp and a game probly going to cause problems, just had another bsod then completley different,

'The problem seems to be caused by the following file
ks.sys
an Attempt was made to write to read only memory'

Technical info ***STOP: 0x000000BE(0XF724B374,0X08985121,0XF78A2AA0,0X000000A)
ks.sys

Thanks for the replys

also i just googled the latest bsod ks.sys, there are alot of people with the same thing when playing games relating to sound card drivers?and people that have SP3 i have xp sp3 could bad ram cause the audio drivers to fail and create the bsod?

Tanis

Shane
As The Hound has said, I would deal with the RAM problem before even thinking about any other possible issues. Its quite possible that there are no other problems, RAM faults can produce errors / BSOD linking to almost any part of the system as it often depends on exactly what the faulty RAM is being used for at that specific moment (which can change). You could end up chasing yourself round and round in circles otherwise.

havik_racing

As The Hound has said, I would deal with the RAM problem before even thinking about any other possible issues. Its quite possible that there are no other problems, RAM faults can produce errors / BSOD linking to almost any part of the system as it often depends on exactly what the faulty RAM is being used for at that specific moment (which can change). You could end up chasing yourself round and round in circles otherwise.
ok just borrowed a 1gig stick off a friend and tried to play no good happened again, one thing i have noticed when the server i play on is full it happens every 5-20mins, but when theres 2-3 people on i can get a good 2-3 hours out of it, here is the next bsod

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
***tcpip.sys address F2FB34F0 base at F2FAD000 date stamp 4888db33e

are there any freeware programs to monitor my voltage?

tcpip.sys is a network driver.
ks.sys is audio.
nvdisp is video.
usbport is chipset
The BSODs point to everything and nothing at the same time, and it doesn't make sense to troubleshoot those until your RAM is known good.

The PSU---how old? A failing 12v rail causes strange things to happen too. I'll look into software to monitor voltage, but I'm not holding out hope.

It's late here---I'll be back around tomorrow.

havik_racing

thanx hound same here to in australia:) im going to memtest this 1gig stick overnight and see if/how many errors occur i appreciate your help,the psu is a CODEGEN 450w, its probly about 6 months old, i went into bios on startup and had a look at the voltages they all appear ok except there about .1.2 off the mark e.g the 12volt is 11.811.9 flickering same for the others, is that normal?

I don't have an answer for you on the PSU readings in the BIOS---I'll see what I find.

havik_racing

ok thanks hound, ran memtest on this 1gig kingston stick hasn't reported any errors and its been running for just over 8 hours, sorry for taking up your time this is a crap machine lol should of thrown it a while back, mite save for something newer;) ah well ill get to the bottom of it soon:)

havik_racing

could a conflicting usb driver/hardware cause all these random crashes? im going to unplug my monitor usb's( connected to front usb port of pc) and see what happens

Absolutely.

Try running with minimal devices attached. No iPod. No Camera Dock. No joysticks or other devices if you don't need them. Disconnect any USB hubs you have attached. Printers, scanners.

You could also be running too much graphics driver for the game/older computer combination...but that's a pain in the okole process to find the right legacy nVidia driver that works for your particular combination.

If unplugging extra devices makes a difference, then you're probably pointing toward the PSU.

IF YOU"RE COMPETENT TO TEST IT---don't go getting yourself an electric shock if you don't have the experience and the proper equipment--you can check the actual output on your PSU. No tutorials from me on this subject--if you don't know how to do this, get someone who does---and I mean someone who really does.

Lots of gaming/PSU issues get chased as driver issues because the PSU simply can't keep up with the drain.

havik_racing

thanks hound, i tried that unplugged my usb wireless modem,usb mouse, and usb speakers, whent back to a ps/2 mouse and tried the game ...same thing, unfortunatley i had to return my friends ram stick back so i thought id just plug the one i thought was 'good' in

boots up ok 20seconds later bsod this time

BAD_POOL_CALLER? dont know if that helps out i found a program called motherboard monitor so im going to run my game in windowed mode and watch the voltages but nearly certain its ram or psu with your guys help thanks heaps!

oops i had to leave my usb modem plugged in it was only usb device plugged in as its the only way i can connect to the net:)

RAM's for sure...PSU's questionable but testable.

With bad hardware, it doesn't make a lot of sense to troubleshoot drivers...

But:

Navigate to C:\Windows\minidump

Zip up the last five files you find there---the filenames correspond with the date the dumps were written at the Blue Screens, like 123109-1 would be the first minidump written on December 31 2009.

Attach the zip file here, and we'll see if someone with some kernel debugging skills can pin down a faulting module unrelated to the hardware---maybe antivirus.

havik_racing

ok there is nothing in the minidump folder, i think error reporting might be turned off? im not to sure how to turn it on but ill have a look,

ah sorry i found jumped the gun a bit error reporting was disabled ill turn it on and play the game to create some reports thanks heaps

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online