1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC build assistance

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Skagen, Aug 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Skagen

Skagen Thread Starter

This isn't my first PC build, but damn if it doesn't feel like it.

After I get everything hooked up, the power supply fires up, but nothing displays on the monitor.

The case fan doesn't start, nor the hard drive or the cd-rom.

All that seems to fire up is the power supply, CPU fan, and a little red light on the mother board.

I've swapped out RAM, power supplies, hard drives, video cards, and even the mobo.

Anyone else have something similar happen to them? I'm retarded.

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Is this in or out of the case?

Try it out of the case, all on a piece of cardboard, to eliminate the possibility of an incorrectly placed standoff?

3. Skagen

Skagen Thread Starter

It was in the case.

Just got home from work, pulled the mobo out of the case (they need to make those wires longer) and hooked it up with the bare minimal in the mobo box.

one stick of ram
    video card
    case fan (guess I really didn't need to hook that up)

The case fan did work this time, and the video card and CPU fan did start up like last time, still no POST beeps, still no video display.

I'm thinking more and more it's either the pentium or I have some jumper settings wrong.

I did double check the switches/jumpers for the LED's and power buttons, the LEDs don't flash, but obviously the power button is working.

Anyone have a problem similar to this? Is there a way to test a CPU without swapping?

4. win2kpro

win2kpro

Is the main power connector 20 or 24 pin? If it is 24 pin are you using a 20 pin power connector? Do you have the auxiliary 2x2 +12V connector connected? Do you have the CPU cooler fan connected?

Although it can happen, processor failures are somewhat rare and there is no way to check the processor other than installing it in a known good board.

The make and model mobo you are using and the processor number would be beneficial in troubleshooting.

5. Skagen

Skagen Thread Starter

The main power is 20 pin, both male and female.

The 4 pin 12v is connected.

The heatsink fan does work, as well as the case fan and the video card fan.

The mother board is a Albatross PX848 Like.

The processor is Intel Pentium 4, 2.40A GHz,1MB L2-Cache, 533 MHz FSB, PGA-478.

The RAM is PNY 512 DDR PC333

Sorry I took so long, just got off of work.

Thanks for the help so far.

6. Mulderator

Mulderator

I had had one machine that did pretty much the same thing you are describing and it turned out to be a bad video card, but you said you swapped that out. It sounds like you did just about everything you can do to trouble shoot.

One thing I would suggest is clearing your CMOS when you do the swapping because maybe something screwed that up. Typically there is a jumper you can use rather than popping the battery out. But I would try clearing the CMOS and then swapping out video cards again.

I say this because one time, I put some new ram in and I couldn't get the computer to post and then I put the old stuff back in and still nothing--I thought I shorted the MoBO out--tried everything--then cleared the CMOS and the thing fired right up.

7. Mulderator

Mulderator

BTW--moved this to hardware--you'll get more responses there.

8. win2kpro

win2kpro

BTW, the board is an Albatron not an Albatross, however it may seem like an Albatross at this time since it isn't working. :(

As Mulder suggested the only thing I can suggest at this time is to reset the CMOS and if you have another machine available that will support that processor you could test the processor, since you apparently have tested the other board components.

If the processor was purchased new, the odds of a processor vs. board failure are in my opinion at least 10/1 in favor of a board failure. This assumption is somewhat reinforced since that board utilizes an ALI chipset. In comparison to other chipsets, ALI chipsets have a high failure rate. As I previously stated, both INTEL and AMD processor failures are somewhat rare, but occassionally failures do occur, so checking the processor would be the next item to examine.

9. Skagen

Skagen Thread Starter

k, I took the video card out of this machine and plugged it into the dead one, switched the jumper to clear the CMOS, lit a smoke, switched it back, connected the AC, same situation.

This is the second motherboard I've tried this processor with. The first one was a Tyan, I forget the model number. I figured the mobo was bad, plus I only had a 30 day return policy on it, so I RMA'd quickly. Same exact situation with the last mother board as this one.

One thing that caught my eye while I was glancing threw the manual was it has a Case Open Warning Jumper. The manual says that the case needs to have a "case open" cable equipped. It's a little vague, so I'm hoping its just a requirement for the case open feature and not a requirement for the computer to operate.

My roommate is unfortunatley AMD, he even cut AMD onto his chest with an old ISA card :p

It seems a little odd that I wouldn't even get a POST beep or a display error about a bad CPU or something.

But thanks for your help guys, I think we've cleared all bases except for the processor, feel free to add anymore ideas though.

10. Mulderator

Mulderator

Well there's your problem--you're not supposed to hook it up to the air conditioner! :D Although at least your processor won't run hot! ;)

11. Mulderator

Mulderator

That's really annoying. I had a hard drive once that was DOA and it was the first time I was using a SATA drive as a slave and so I could not get the thing to be recognized and of course I thought it was because I didn't know what I was doing. Turned out it was a bad drive from the get go--as soon as RMAd it and got the new one it was reconized immediately--what should have taken 10 minutes took half a day trying figure what the hell was wrong. Very frustrating.

12. Skagen

Skagen Thread Starter

D'oh! thats it, problem solved! lol

13. Skagen

Skagen Thread Starter

tell me about it, I tried to get an RMA for the Pentium, and the guy reminded me of Boris from Rocky and Bullwinkle, so yeah, no help there.

14. brite750

brite750

IMO never have any drives hooked up when you do a build, just PSU/MB/CPU+HSF/1 stick of ram/GFX card, see if it posts first before you add drives.

15. Skagen

Skagen Thread Starter

I'm thinking this is one of those situations where you take the defective computer parts outside, introduce them to the business end of a sledgehammer, then bring the mangled parts back inside in clear view of all working computer parts.

Just so they know what to expect if they fail.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/488899

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice