1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC build boots to power save until I unplug my Graphics Card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dallas.may, Jun 14, 2018.

Advertisement
  1. dallas.may

dallas.may Thread Starter

I've recently built a new PC and triple checked that all parts were compatible. When I turn the system on, it runs perfectly fine (including the graphics card fans) but displays a box saying "Power Save Mode" on my Lenovo monitor. When I unplug the PCI-E plug from the Graphics Card and turn the PC on, It boots normally and is fully functional, booting into Windows 10 as intended. How might I fix this?

2. Sponsor

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Actually that's the opposite of perfectly fine. Power Save Mode means the monitor is not getting a signal from the computer and is turning itself off. That's like saying a person is perfectly healthy except for being dead.

You need to list the exact components of your computer, model number of the motherboard, power supply, graphics card at minimum but would be good to list all the rest of them too.

As the very first step/question, when you are using the graphics card, are you moving the monitor plug from the motherboard video connector to the graphics card video connector?

4. dallas.may

By perfectly fine, I meant the tower itself turns on, so the fans spin and all of the lights come on, sorry for poor wording
    Components:
    MSI H110M PRO-VD motherboard
    I3-6100 Intel Processor
    EVGA 100-W1-0430-RX 430W power supply
    MSI GTX-1060 6GB Graphics Card

And no, I am not moving the monitor plug from the motherboard to the graphics card video connector

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    So the monitor is plugged into what port? One on the motherboard or the one on the video card?

6. dallas.may

Motherboard, Its an older monitor that doesnt have hdmi so I was using a VGA cable between the monitor and the motherboard port. The graphics card only has DVI and HDMI so I didnt think to plug it into the graphics card but I may be able to find a DVI cable somewhere if that is what's needed.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Well there's your problem. Since you have a video card installed you must connect the monitor to the video card in order to get an output from the computer.

You can get a DVI-I to VGA adapter if the video card has a DVI-I port and not a DVI-D port. Or you can get a DisplayPort to VGA adapter as the video card should also have at least one DisplayPort. Or get a new monitor with DisplayPort, DVI, or HDMI.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
  8. dallas.may

Thanks, Im new to the PC scene so I still only know the basics

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1211587

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice