1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC Build

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Crazysexybear, Sep 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Crazysexybear

Crazysexybear Thread Starter

Hey there
    So I'm going to build a pc pretty much for only gaming and I'd like to know what you think about this build (any cheaper or better solutions):

MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte Z370 aorus gaming 5
    CPU: Intel core i5 8600k
    COOLER: CRYORIG H7 Cooler
    CASE: Corsair SPEC-02 Mid-Tower Case
    RAM: Corsair vengeace LPX 8gb DDR4
    HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 1t
    PSU: Evga Supernova 550w 80 plus gold
    GPU: Evga 1060 6gb

Thx :)

Ps: everything is compatible

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

All looks basically good
    however
    1. Ram - how much in total - only 8GB in total and if so how is it made up
    and which exact ram

2. EVGA power supply OK with that one card
    requires minimum 400watt
    If however you have ANY thoughts of running dual cards I would recommend you increase to at least 650
    https://www.evga.com/products/productlist.aspx?type=10&family=Power+Supplies&chipset=550+Watts

and you do not say which 550 80 plus gold but if budget is not limited you would do well with the gold model with the HDB fan
    hydraulic dynamic bearing for fan.
    A lot quieter when the fan is running and if you are expecting to run at good load a lot more reliable over years

3. Re graphics and board
    the Board has a BIOS update for issues with the 1060 -SEE BELOW please
    Solve 1060/1070/1080 VGA issue
    solved on F3 issued 25/9/17
    Depending on where you are buying the board from depends on if the BIOS - firmware is F3 or the original F2
    eg - how long in stock from Gigabyte
    https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z370-AORUS-Gaming-5-rev-10#support-dl-bios

4. CPU is good
    https://ark.intel.com/products/126685/Intel-Core-i5-8600K-Processor-9M-Cache-up-to-4_30-GHz
    and according to Gigabyte will run on that board from original BIOS

NOTE ram for CPU is
    Memory Types DDR4-2666
    that means the processor will run 2666MHz ram at SPD

It does not mean it will not run other ram - higher speeds but on that processor and that board if you want to run ram at other than 2666 as you can see
    Support for DDR4 4133(O.C.) / 4000(O.C.) / 3866(O.C.) / 3800(O.C.) / 3733(O.C.) / 3666(O.C.) / 3600(O.C.) / 3466(O.C.) / 3400(O.C.) / 3333(O.C.) / 3300(O.C.) / 3200(O.C.) / 3000(O.C.) / 2800(O.C.) / 2666 / 2400 / 2133 MHz memory modules
    everything above 2666 is OC

I mention it only so that you can check if the ram you intend to buy is on the QVL list which was updated 20 April this year
    https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z370-AORUS-Gaming-5-rev-10#support-doc

5. Good luck with it

DETAILS of problems mentioned with 1060
    HOWEVER even if it was a no display problem with the card on certain setups it would NOT be too serious as the CPU has integrated graphics
    Intel® UHD Graphics 630

and the board has rear I/O plate connections for
    1. 1 x DisplayPort
    2. 1 x HDMI port
    the integrated graphics - so you can boot to those if necessary while you update BIOS -
    The issue is or was before F3

While running NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 / 1070 / 1060 graphics card with CSM setting disabled in motherboard BIOS, system does not boot up after shut down in Windows 10.

Z370 AORUS Gaming 5 (rev. 1.0)
    1. Disconnect power cable and clear CMOS.
    2. Connect power cable and update graphics card or motherboard BIOS.
      1. If you are using GIGABYTE graphics card, you can download and use AORUS GRAPHICS ENGINE to update BIOS.
      2. For motherboard BIOS, you can use @BIOS or Q-Flash tool to update.

Any further queries please do not hesitate to ask

3. Macboatmaster

Having spent sometime preparing my reply to you
    I think I now realise that you appear to be making a second request for the same information
    https://forums.techguy.org/threads/diy-gaming-computer.1213848/

Hardly anything of note has changed
    If I have misread something please accept my apologies

When and IF you reply please explain what it is that has changed, so that you may receive the best advice.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

As far as the bios, gigabyte support can [usually] tell you what bios the board shipped with from the serial# on the motherboard box. Note you have to get someone in support that actually knows what they are doing. You may have to request a supervisor and they can tell you.

Next no ssd drive??? A ssd is the single biggest boost to performance you can give to a system. Even faster than a ssd is the M.2 nvme drives which your board supports. These are more expensive than a ssd however the performance is incredible. My system [booting from nvme drive] loads windows 10 in approx 5 seconds after POST.

Ram speed. Intel chipset boards are really good about xmp. Just enabling xmp in the bios will load correct vdimm, speed, and timings. The AMD ryzen boards are not that great regarding xmp however in your case, no problem at all. The native ram speed that the cpu supports is 2666 however running the ram at rated speed should not cause a problem.

5. Macboatmaster

The BIOS version - in respect of the 1060 is not of great importance as I said
    and once he gets the boot he will know what firmware is installed.

I suspect we may not receive a response to the topic, which as I said in my post 3 is more or less a duplicate of the earlier one

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
  6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1216339

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice