1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC Build

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Joelz587, Oct 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Joelz587

Joelz587 Thread Starter

Hey guys i decided to build a PC (first time) put everything together and it’s not working only my fans start spinning when i power it up except the ones on my graphics card no leds light up in my motherboard.

Specs

Cpu-Amd Ryzen 5 2600 6-core 3.4 GHz

Motherboard- ASRock AB350 pro AM4 AMD

Graphics card- EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 sc gaming

Ram- G.Skill Fortis 16gb 288-pin DDR4

SSD- 970 EVO M.2 2280 250GB

Psu- EVGA 600 BR 100-BR-6000 600w ATX12v
    Case- NZXT s340

somebody help me please

2. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Fairly common problem. The best solution is to take it back down to bare bones on a table. Nothing but motherboard (on a non-conductive surface), CPU (w/heatsink), RAM, PSU, video, keyboard and mouse. Now see if it will boot into the BIOS. If not, try different PSU and/or RAM. Once you do get into the BIOS, reset the BIOS to factory default.

Now try running an Operating System (*nix) from a bootable USB flash drive. Exercise it some (web) and then leave it running overnight. If it's still where you left it the night before, power down, hook up your drive with Windows on it and try the same, (exercise it, web, games, whatever), and leave it running overnight. If it's fine the next morning, power down and reassemble everything back in the case. As you continue beyond the bare minimum, only add one or two pieces of hardware at a time and then test to make sure what was added isn't causing problems. You get the idea ...

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I see one BIG potential issue here; cpu support. Your board is the older 3xx series chipset and it does support the 2600 from bios version 470 and later. If you have an earlier bios, then your cpu is not supported. Usually asrock boards come with a sticker on the board showing what bios is installed ie 3.20, 4.40, etc. Check your board carefully to see if you have this sticker. It will say something like 2.20 etc. That will be it; just the number. If you cannot find the sticker, asrock support can usually tell you what bios your board shipped with from the serial# on the motherboard box.

AMD was providing an older cpu that they would lend you to flash the bios. Here is a link that explains how to obtain a loaner cpu;
    https://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/2Gen-Ryzen-AM4-System-Bootup.aspx

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
    bassfisher6522 likes this.
  4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you do have to flash the bios, be sure you read and fully understand the flashing procedure.
    Note depending on what bios you currently have installed, you may have to do two flashes. If the current bios is 3.30 or older, you must flash to the bridge bios then flash to the latest bios.

Again be sure you fully understand the flashing procedure. If you are not sure, ask. The only way I ever update the bios on an asrock board is by using instant flash which is built into the bios. This removes windows from the problem.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
  5. Joelz587

Joelz587 Thread Starter

Ok this is a lot to read and it seems very helpful but i disassembled everything put it back together and got it to boot up perfectly installed windows and all now my only problem is my led lights not working how can i go about to fix this?

6. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    Which LED's aren't working? You may not have connected some wires, as HDD LED, POWER LED etc. to the correct pins on the motherboard.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Glad you were able to get it working without having to update the bios.
    The pw led, hd led must be installed in the correct orientation ie + must go to + on the board. The reset and pw switch pins can go on either way.

Are you by chance referring to LEDs on the motherboard?

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
  8. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

I agree. Great to hear it's up and running.

As everyone else is asking, which LEDs aren't working? ;)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1218279

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice