1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC building 101

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cwolfe98, Dec 5, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cwolfe98

cwolfe98 Thread Starter

I am about to upgrade an old PC. (First time rebuilding a PC) I was thinking about adding this:
    MOTHERBOARD & PROCESSOR
    SHUTTLE AK31 SOCKET A MOTHERBOARD W/ AMD ATHLON 1.3GHz

RAM
    256MB

HARDDRIVE
    SEAGATE 40.8GB

CD-RW
    CREATIVE LABS 8x4x32x CDRW

OPERATING SYSTEM
    WINDOWS 98SE

The questions I have are:
    * How do I know EXACTLY which motherboard to use?

* Since I will keep the old monitor, mouse, and keyboard, do I need to download new drivers or since everything is about 5 yrs old, should the new MB Bios and OS already have the drivers?

* ISDN line is already installed in the house. I know NOTHING about ISDN. Do I need to get a "new" ISDN modem? From who? Local landline carrier? (ex: Bell South)

I am doing this for a friend at work, who is nice enough to let me use his stuff as "trial & error" since this is my first attempt at building or rebuilding a PC. :D

I will be going to his house Monday to see exactly what he has. From what I can get from him, I think he has an old IBM based PC. (Built, not a namebrand like HP or Dell.) Windows 95, 64mb RAM, 133MHz.

Thanks in advance for any advice. :)

2. brianF

brianF

You will need a new case, atx, with good air flow
    Motherboard, atx, that will support that processor, abit, asus, epox are the best that come to mind.
    Proper memory for cpu

You will probably need to download new drivers for mouse and keyboard, monitor may work plug and play, maybe not.

go check out abit or asus web site and look at the socket A motherboards and the different options available

http://www.abit-usa.com/
    http://www.asus.com.tw/

I am not up on that processor so I can't get more detailed on the motherboard or memory requirements.

Also wouldn't hurt to check www.amd.com they have some articles on recommended suppliers for boards and memory. Along with power supplies, etc.

Almost forgot, they run hot, you need a good fan/heatsink to keep them stable

Good site lot's of guides for building different performance machines, probably worth a read

http://www.sharkyextreme.com/guides/index.php

3. swwelsh

swwelsh

Definitely get a new case, with at least a 300W amd approved power supply (see their web site for recommended power supplies) or ask the place you get the board. I would try to use the isdn modem from the old machine, one issue you may run into is that the isdn modem is likely to be for an ISA slot, many new boards will only have pci slots. Also, isdn is not really a technology with a bright future, I would investigate the cost of a cable or dsl line compared to what the isdn is costing

4. cwolfe98

cwolfe98 Thread Starter

Thanks!

Good site Brian. It has lots of helpful info. I think my friend has decided to dump he ISDN and go with cable modem. Much cheaper in our area.

Most of the parts I will be getting from www.tigerdirect.com . I have used them before, and they have good stuff a good prices.

Looks like I will not be able to use much of his old system. Maybe I could use his old 2GB HD as an extra HD. Think I can also use the 64mb ram from the old PC and add it to the 256mb I will be putting in.

I'll let you both know how it all turns out!
    :D

5. Rockn

Rockn

I supose as long as you aren't buyng a complete system from them you should be OK buying from Tiger Direct. One caustion though!! Insist on getting the warranty info from them and make sure they aren't selling you OEM parts. If you get OEM parts you will be out a warranty with the manufacturer and I would make sure you are getting packaged items...in box CPU's etc. I did some work for an old guy once that bought one of their PC's and it broke, they would not honor the warranty and he was stuck with a useless PC. Buyer beware!!

6. cwolfe98

cwolfe98 Thread Starter

Thanks .... good info ... !

7. Max19

Max19 Account Disabled

You can only use your friend's RAM if you buy a motherboard that uses SDRAM. That memory won't work on a board that only has DDR memory slots.

A 2GB hard drive will barely hold a full install of Windows 98. You'll run out of room very quickly. I wouldn't even waste time installing it.

8. deuce

deuce

I agree... 2 GB added to a system with a 40.8 won't make much of a difference. (only adds slightly less than 5% more storage) If it is an old HD you might not want to risk putting stuff on it and having it crap out anytime between now and whenever. If you want the extra storage though go ahead.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60861

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice