PC can't boot correctly, screen goes black

faq77

Hello, posting from my phone because I can't access my computer because of this problem.

I'll try to be as detailed as possible:
Whenever I turn on my pc the screen goes black intermittently. What does this mean? I can see every process load "correctly", I push the power button, I see my monitor's brand logo, then the screen goes black, I see the BIOS loading for 1 second, then the screen goes black until Windows starts loading, I see the Windows loading screen for 1 second (yes, literally one second) and the screen goes black again, this process repeats until everything is loaded and the screen stays black completely. I can't see my mouse cursor nor access the BIOS settings.
The weird thing is, whenever this happens I can turn the monitor off then on again and I can see everything just fine for 1 second, then it goes black again.
I tried updating drivers, literally disassemble it and cleaning it up completely, even did a clean install, and nothing worked.

What I've been doing that ""works"" is turn it on, wait until everything is loaded, leave the black screen for a while (like 15-20 minutes) and rebooting, and somehow everything loads and works fine.

I have Windows 10, asus a88, amd apu a10, 4 gb ram.

Let me know if you need any more details, as of now I can't access my pc as the temporal solution that did work before is no longer working. And sorry for my bad grammar, english is not my native language.

Edit: I changed monitors and was able to use it just fine for 10-15 minutes so I mistakenly thought it was solved but it's not.

Any ideas welcomed.

Last edited:

faq77

It was my monitor dying, thought it was something software related. I don't know how to delete threads so I marked it as solved. If a moderator wants to delete it for me please do, and sorry for the inconvenience.

TerryNet

Terry
Thanks for the update/solution.

Just wanted to say that you are fantastic to post all that description on a phone! And, English is not your native language? OK, then you are doubly fantastic!

faq77

Thanks for the update/solution.

Just wanted to say that you are fantastic to post all that description on a phone! And, English is not your native language? OK, then you are doubly fantastic!
Hey, thanks, you're really nice.
And sorry to bother you, but my monitor just shut off 10 minutes after I posted the update above, is there a way to "unsolve" the thread? The problem still persists even with a new monitor.
Seems like I need to add another potential solution tried, and failed. :cry:

edit: nvm I did it myself, I'm not good at forums lol

TerryNet

Terry
You're doing better with this forum than many long-time members do. :)

As weird as Windows 10 is this sounds to be more like a Hardware problem, so I moved the thread. I'll move it back later if it seems warranted.

My sketchy hardware knowledge makes me suspect a loose or defective cable (e.g., power cable to the display/graphics card), the display card, power supply unit or motherboard.

With luck a knowledgeable hardware person will check in and give some better advice.

TerryNet

Terry
Thought of something else--if the PC or monitor is plugged into a power strip or surge protector try plugging it or them directly into a wall outlet.

faq77

You're doing better with this forum than many long-time members do. :)

As weird as Windows 10 is this sounds to be more like a Hardware problem, so I moved the thread. I'll move it back later if it seems warranted.

My sketchy hardware knowledge makes me suspect a loose or defective cable (e.g., power cable to the display/graphics card), the display card, power supply unit or motherboard.

With luck a knowledgeable hardware person will check in and give some better advice.
Thanks for moving it to the right category, I wasn't sure where it belonged.
And yes, I too think it's a hardware problem now, more specifically some kind of power issue maybe? I tried changing the power strip, since I can't connect both the monitor and the pc to wall outlets, they're pretty far from each other (guess the architect didn't think that one thoroughly :cautious:) and it didn't work. I'll see if I can find some way to do it tomorrow, it's pretty late here already.
I also changed the power supply cable, the vga cable, the monitor's power supply cable, and nothing. I am already out of ideas here.

faq77

I'm suspecting it to be my power supply unit that got old (it's not generic but I bought it almost 7 years ago), I think those things lose power over time? Maybe it doesn't have the power enough to feed the integrated video card. Or the motherboard's integrated video card just died? I don't know if that's possible. Sadly I don't have either a spare graphic card or power supply unit to test which is it that's causing the issue. If someone with more knowledge or experience could help me figure this out it would be great.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
It has the possible indications of a PSU problem.
That is only ONE of the many possibles
What may appear to be occurring is that the PSU is delivering power to the Radeon integrated graphics in the A10 APU and then there is a power supply issue and the first thing that fails is the display - not on the monitor but the power from the graphics to the monitor
From your motherboard
Integrated AMD Radeon™ R/HD8000/HD7000 Series Graphics in the A-Series APU
Multi-VGA output support : HDMI/DVI/RGB ports
- Supports HDMI with max. resolution 4096 x 2160 @ 24 Hz / 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz*1
- Supports DVI with max. resolution 2560 x 1600 @ 60 Hz
- Supports RGB with max. resolution 1920 x 1600 @ 60 Hz
Maximum shared memory of 2048 MB
AMD® Dual Graphics technology support *2

There maybe other reasons, such as a resolution problem, but that does not really fit in with the sequence of events, especially with the other monitor appearing to work OK for some 15 minutes.

At the black screen press the Crtl, Shift, Windows Key, and B
see what happens then please

If that does not work at the lock screen click on the power button bottom right
select restart - hold down shift key and click restart

1. On the Windows sign-in screen, press and hold the Shift key while you select the Power > Restart .
  2. After your PC restarts to the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings > Restart.
  3. After your PC restarts, you'll see a list of options. Select 4 or F4 to start your PC in safe mode. Or if you'll need to use the Internet, select 5 or F5 for Safe Mode with Networking.
  4. Please select safe mode with networking presuming you are connected hard wired to the ethernet on that desktop
    This procedure should ensure it is not a driver issue, as Safe Mode will load a standard windows graphics driver.
My money at this time is on the PSU or possibly I regret to say a processor issue - although it is not by any means time to concern yourself too greatly about that until we have conducted further tests

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
faq77
I completed my post 10 before I saw your 9 - but had to edit it to include some more detail
I think as I said you may be correct
If you are and I am there is NO WAY ROUND the issue, you need to take out the PSU take it to your local computer shop, not one of the giant multiples and ask them to test it, should be only a few £/$
or wait until you can borrow one to try
I would urge you not to continue with that PSU, as if it has gone faulty and is of poor quality it may deliver OVER VOLTAGE and take out components on the board

OVER VOLTAGE is rare, but can occur.

faq77

faq77
I completed my post 10 before I saw your 9 - but had to edit it to include some more detail
I think as I said you may be correct
If you are and I am there is NO WAY ROUND the issue, you need to take out the PSU take it to your local computer shop, not one of the giant multiples and ask them to test it, should be only a few £/$
or wait until you can borrow one to try
I would urge you not to continue with that PSU, as if it has gone faulty and is of poor quality it may deliver OVER VOLTAGE and take out components on the board

OVER VOLTAGE is rare, but can occur.
Thanks so much for the replies.
As for your previous comment, I can't really see anything, not bios, not boot mode settings, literally anything, so it's impossible for me to try that out.

I'll take the PSU to get it checked as soon as possible then, thanks a lot for the help.
And to @TerryNet too. You guys are awesome.

I'll be back with updates. :D

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
If you are on black screen even at power on, rather than black screen after some stage of loading, eg POST - power on self test BIOS screen to Windows circle and then lock screen, that indicates the issue is more than likely PSU or CPU - as CPU has graphics integrated.
Let us know how it goes please.
Good luck

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online