1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC Can't Find any Wireless Networks

Discussion in 'Networking' started by WantedFish, Aug 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. WantedFish

WantedFish Thread Starter

Hi,

Recently, I've been having some trouble with my wireless connection on my PC. I am running Windows XP SP2 and the network card is a PCI Belkin Wireless G 54mbps.

After my PC has been on four about 15 - 30mins, the wireless connection drops and Windows tells me that there are no wireless networks available. When the connection is working, there are always about 8 wireless netowrks available. After I reboot the PC, the connection works again. Before this problem started, I could connect to my router at 54mbps, but since the problem has started, the connection speed varies between 11 and 36mbps.

My laptop - which sits near my PC works fine and can detect all the available networks when the PC says there are none. When I try and disable/re-enable the network card, or change any of its properties, Device Manager hangs and only an 'end process' will close it.

I tried upgrading the driver, but still no joy. I have recently bought a new network card (TP-Link TL-WN353G) but I get identical problems. However, I have just noticed that both of the cards use the Realtelk RTL8185L chipset. I could deduce that this is the problem, but the card worked perfectly well for 6 months prior to the problem starting.

The PCI bus seems to be working fine; I plugged a SBLive! sound card into the slot and I had no problems with that.

Can anyone offer any light on what this problem might be, or how to try and diagnose the fault?

Many thanks in advance,

Fish

-------------------------------------------

Additional Info:
    I'm in the UK (Scotland)
    ISP: Virgin Media (ASDL)
    Down/Up: 8mbps/256mbps
    Network adapter: TP-Link TL-WN353G (Realtelk RTL8185L chipset)
    Router: Thomson ST780 (software version: 6.2.29.3)
    Connection type: wireless
    Encryption: WEP
    My PC: self-build/P4 Prescott 2.8ghz/800mhs FSB/2gb RAM
    Browsers: IE7, FF2, IE6

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Does a wired connection work properly to the router?

3. WantedFish

Hi,

A wired connection works perfectly. I tried the on-bard and a PCI 10/100 card just to make sure.

Thanks,

Fish

4. JohnWill

Well, this sounds like a driver or PCI resource conflict. Have you tried different PCI slots for the card?

5. WantedFish

Hi,

I've hopefully fixed this problem.

It seems to be a resource conflict. I removed my graphics card and the problem vanshed. I then removed all PCI devices and installed them one at a time. I used Everest Home to make sure everything was ok as I went along.

Thanks for everyones help.

Fish

6. JohnWill

Hard to use the computer without a graphics card isn't it? :D

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/738424

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice