1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Pc cant find wireless networks

Discussion in 'Networking' started by NeedsNewName, Aug 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. NeedsNewName

NeedsNewName Thread Starter

I have a dell 1505 with Symantec End Point virus software. i recently started having wireless connection problems. so i got a new router because if was old. Now my pc cant find the new router. In fact it cant find any wireless connections at all. There are at least 10 to find. My other pc is finding them find off the same router. PLEASE PLEASE someone give me so advice or ideas of what to do. i installed the factory software. My pc can connect if i use the lan line with the cat 5 cable. but not wireless connections. ideas??? thank you so much

ps windows xp

2. Real-Source

Real-Source

hey man its your wireless adapter who is not perfoming well ... it might not be able to receive signals...you can better wireless transmission by using a software called NEtStumbler ... you use that ... it will try to look for wireless points available and then better the connection (signal) for yo...if this fail ..try to either format your system ..then reinstall the wireless adapter ..if this also fail ,then BUY ANOTHER ADAPTER ... ;-)

3. NeedsNewName

yeah well its receiving signal. it shows the the networks now, i installed an update for my driver. well it shows me the network, but still says i am not connected

4. Real-Source

Real-Source

go on google and download network stumbler ... other thing tell me more about your access point itself .... what is it ... give me details about it ..btw when u finished downloaded network stumbler ...before running it ..make your wireless adapter scan it first ..(USING WINDOWS WIRELESS NETWORK CONNECTION TOOL in control panel)....then when your adapter is listed do not connect to it ... run network stumbler then let it find it also ...afterward look where it says signal ... it shall increase ... let it increase at least upto 20 db then you go onto your windows wireless connection and click on the listed access-point and do connect ...

5. NeedsNewName

how do i determind the access point?

6. Real-Source

Real-Source

listhen ... give me detail about your network first ..then i will be more at ease to help you because rit now i have no idea about your network topology at all ... what devices you using all that .//// there might be mac address filtering on your wireless access point .... by the way WIRELESS ACCESS POINT IS THE DEVICE THAT YOUR PC OR LAPTOP IS GOING TO CONNECT TO WHEN YOU ARE USING WIFI..

7. NeedsNewName

i have a wireless G broadband router from cisco. i am using a motorolla surf board modem. i couldnt find any signals with using the Wireless Network Connection utility in windows. So i downloaded the dell wireless utility and it can now see all the wirelss signals including mine. but it continues to say that i have no connectivity.

its a brand new router, but there is another pc in the home that is using the wifi with no problems. she can see it and connect.

8. Real-Source

Real-Source

whats the cisco wireless model ... you know in networking , to be able to locate problem you must first break your network topology... plz put apart your cisco wireless and try to connect to it alone ... do not connect to any other devices when doing this ... if you are still having problem for connection let me know and give me the wireless cisco system's model ... im going to guide through the configuration of your system from scratch for your cisco ...using either sdm or hypertherminal..

9. NeedsNewName

wrt54g2 is the model number

10. pedroguy

pedroguy

OK;Let's clarify.
    You cannot connect wireless to your home network ?
    But,if you hard wire to (modem or router,which ?) you can access the internet.
    Correct ?
    Let's have some basic info:
    Make and models of modem and router ?
    Operating system ?
    ISP ?
    Just saw your update.Is this a DSL connection and is your modem a combo modem router?
    And I assume that the driver update was for the wireless adapter ?
    More basics:
    The main exercise here is to check cabling and reset the various network components.And get a snap shot of how you pc sees it' local environment.

Basic network setup procedure

From a Johnwill tech tip:

The following procedure should get you a connection with any broadband modem that is configured to use DHCP for the router connection, such as cable modems, and many DSL modems. If you require PPPoE configuration for the DSL modem, that will have to be configured to match the ISP requirements.

Note that the wireless encryption and channel selection will have to be done after the basic wired connection is established, the first step is to get wired connections working.
    • Reset the router to factory defaults by holding the reset button down for 15 seconds with power on.
    • Turn off everything, the modem, router, computer.
    • Connect the modem to the router's WAN/Internet port.
    • Connect the computer to one of the router's LAN/Network ports.
    • Turn on the modem, wait for a steady connect light.
    • Turn on the router, wait for two minutes.
    • Boot the computer.

When the computer is completely booted, let's see this.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD (COMMAND for W98/WME) to open a command prompt:

NOTE: For the items below surrounded with < >, see comments below for the actual information content, they are value substitutions from the previous command output!

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands one at a time, followed by the Enter key:

IPCONFIG /ALL

PING <computer_IP_address>

PING <default_gateway_address>

PING <dns_servers>

PING 206.190.60.37

PING yahoo.com

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter to copy the contents to the clipboard.
    Paste the results in a message here.

<computer_IP_address> - The IP Address of your computer, obtained from the IPCONFIG command above.

<default_gateway_address> - The IP address of the Default Gateway, obtained from the IPCONFIG command above.

<dns_servers> - The IP address of the first (or only) address for DNS Servers, obtained from the IPCONFIG command above.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

11. Real-Source

Real-Source

well ive noticed that you have mac address filtering on your wireless device ... so if you can connect to it via a cable ..just use it default-gateway address to access it setup configuration ... then you look for wireless configuration and look for mac address filtering .. you can either disable it but doing so will reduce your wireless security ...on the other hand you can open cmd and type ipconfig /all .... you look for wireless adapter then you gonna see its specs ....find where it says mac address or physical address ..then put the mac address or physical address in the mac filtering list on your cisco...ok

12. NeedsNewName

ok i did that and my physical address is already in the router.

13. Real-Source

Real-Source

ok if you still cant connect wirelessly ...access your router and under wireless configuration .. look for channels ... and put it to 10 ... then check if it works ...if not then let the channel set to 10 and look for mode of connection ... put it to 802.11 b+g...... if it fails to connect though ..plz screen shot your router wireless configuration page and send me ....

14. NeedsNewName

is that the internet access policy?

my router is found on channel 6 on the wireless utitlity

it sounds like my pc is not running the correct path to access the router wirelessly

15. Real-Source

Real-Source

ok well i need to have a look on your router configuration..plz screen shot the wireless configuration page and send me ...google for screen shot key to obtain indication on how to take a snap shot of your screen....i will then be able to guide you better

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/848627

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice