1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC Case Change - Now PC won't boot up!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cmoliver123, Apr 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cmoliver123

cmoliver123 Thread Starter

Hey

Just bought a nice Xion II Modder's Case for my PC. I slowly removed all the parts from the old case, and carefully replaced them into the new case.

However, on boot up, depending on what IDE drive is connected, I get:

a.) a blank screen
    b.) A bios screen with no memory check but instead a message simply stating "Memory...T"
    c.) Differing amounts of memory (varies between 25000K(ish), and 3584K), even though my usual memcheck is over 1.25GB (1 x 1GB RAM stick, 1 x 512MB RAM stick)

I've tried every combination of IDE connection, including simply unplugging everything and plugging solely the HDD into the IDE1 port.

Simply put, when I first connected the PC back up in the new case I copied it EXACTLY as the old case.

In addition, the bios check screen is not as crystal clear as it normally is. There are strange symbols/artefacts littered around the screen.

I have a keyboard and nothing else plugged in, although the BIOS setup utility does not appear if I press F1 or DEL.

Any help is extremely appreciated!!

Cheers

Chris O

2. win2kpro

win2kpro

Did you install the motherboard standoffs (risers) in the new case?

3. cmoliver123

cmoliver123 Thread Starter

hi

no i didn't mount the board with standoffs the first time round, but have subsequently done so.

have now tried putting the components back into the old case, and I still get the same errors.

do you think i've "fried" my motherboard?

cheers

Chris

4. win2kpro

win2kpro

The 1st thing I would try would be to download Memtest and install it on a floppy. Boot the machine from the floppy and let Memtest run for several hours and see if it comes up with errors.

http://www.memtest.org/

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/560888

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice