1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC Case Concern

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by antares, Sep 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. antares

antares Thread Starter

I'm about to get my motherboard during this week and I found out something that I'm very concern about.

Take a look at my PC case:

http://support.gateway.com/s/CASES/B00525/b0052506.shtml

As you can see, it's a Gateway PC.

Now, here is my new motherboard:

http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage...46-03.JPG/13-127-146-04.jpg/13-127-146-01.JPG

Ok, as you can see, the I/O connections won't fix on my case with the new motherboard. Well, no problem, so I went to the back of my case and I look to see if I can take out the cover. Hmm, the I/O cover is part of the expansion slots cover? I'm kind of confused here, but does every case apost to have a pop out I/O cover? Thanks.

2. suesman

suesman

I'm using that exact case man. You will have to cut out that piece from the case & use the supplied I/O cover. This XFX board I have in it now worked fine with the original, but my Gigabyte GA-7VAXP did not. I had to cut it out.

I traced out the one supplied with the Gigabyte & cut it out with a Dremel tool. I also had to cut out the space provided for the PSU so this Antec True430 would fit. It's really not as hard as it sounds with a Dremel. ;) I have modded mine to accomodate 3 more 80mm & one 92mm fans. LOL

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news man. You can do it. :D Just be warned that modding can become an obsession. (y)

3. antares

antares Thread Starter

I can cut it out with no problem. Thanks for the reply. :)

4. compilerxp

compilerxp

If youre going to use this case, make sure you replace the power supply as well with something more reliable and more wttage.

Personally, I'd replace the whole case with something better designed with better air flow to keep that AMD running cooler.

5. suesman

suesman

I use that case and with fans in the right places it runs cool enough. I just finished running thru AquaMark3 4 times and the CPU never got over 45c. I play way too much Battlefield 1942 and I have not had a heat problem in quite a while. Even under extended full load it has never gotten over 49c.

6. antares

antares Thread Starter

Suesman, Is it possible to cut out the bottom front of the case, where the tiny holes are and put a fan there?

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Just get a new case - Gateway cases and powersupplies aren't the best.

If you're gonna have a nice system, have it in a nice proper case.

8. suesman

suesman

Yes it is. I'll find a link to these templates you can download & print out. You want to cut out the metal part though, not the plastic cover.

If you have the money, you could just buy a better case, but I find modding to be alot of fun. :D

Other than the fan I put in the top of the case, you can't tell it's been modded at all from just looking at it.

At this moment my temps are as follows:
    CPU = 38c
    GPU = 36c
    Video Memory = 34c
    HDD = 37c
    System Memory = 36c
    PSU = 44c
    Ambient Case temp = 31c
    This is all from aircooling & the readings are from a Digital Doc 5. Now I do keep this room kinda cold. It's 72 degrees in here right now.

9. compilerxp

compilerxp

You should see some modding I'm doing now... but can't show it... legal reasons :) But yeah, doing some types of modding is quite fun, I have a model collection ;) You've got pretty good cooling in your case... The concern is with the Original poster having to spend money to replace the PSU with something a lot better than the default gateway...

Check out this case which I'll be getting to play with in 2-3 days:
    http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage...33-02.JPG/11-124-033-05.JPG/11-124-033-04.JPG

Not bad for $65.... (empty)...

Recommendation to you:
    Please consider reducing the size of your SIG... anything more than 5~7 lines is considered large... especially when its more than your reply. I think they allow you to put a link in your sig if you want to go ALL out for your system stats. But consider putting in the basics... Mobo, CPU, RAM, VGA basics... Then include the link and perhaps photos of your baby ;)

I have mine: www.geocities.com/nfaq/pics

Using such free pages like on Geocities and others will give you more room to "show off" heheh...

10. antares

antares Thread Starter

I have bought a 400w PSU and it is on the way. It is in my sig. :D

11. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  12. antares

antares Thread Starter

Hi, I'm back again and I just got word that my motherboard is coming tomorrow (Yeah!), but the other stuff (CPU, RAM, and PSU) are not here yet.

Ok, after carefully inspecting my case over again and see how I will be able to cut out the I/O cover on the back of my case, I was wondering, is my case steel or aluminum?

Well, if it is steel, can I cut through that with my electric tool?

Thanks!

William

13. compilerxp

compilerxp

Its steel... Aluminum costs more money... and its an old case.

A full size Aluminum tower is about 15lbs empty.... vs. about 25lbs for a standard steel case.

14. suesman

suesman

Yea it's steel man. I cut mine using a Dremel without alot of trouble. If your case is exactly like mine then the front, top & side panel behind the MB are plastic. :D Only the left side is steel.

I've cut a hole in the side panel at about the same level as the vid card & mounted a 80mm fan there pulling out. I cut a hole in the bottom front ( behind the front panel ) of the case & mounted a 80mm there as well. The other front fan is mounted in the open part of the HD bay pullin' air in. That one is blowin' directly across the HD itself. Removed the HD cooler as it didn't seem to be doing very good. :( I've also cut a hole in the top ( both the plastic & steel parts ) just above the PSU & mounted a 92mm fan there pullin' air out.

It's actually quite loud, but it's worth it to keep everything cool right?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was thinking the same thing about my sig. I just hadn't actually changed it. :D

15. compilerxp

compilerxp

.... er.... I guess...

I've built systems that were very silent that had 8 total fans (include PSU, CPU, video card)... you could heard the HDs... not an Over Clockers system, but it ran the CPU at a standard temp.

If youre OCing - then you'll generate a bit more heat... but shouldnt be that much.

Good case designs don't require a lot of fans...

My IN-Win 523 case (I think thats the model #) - has a single 92mm fan in it, period. It dumps a lot of heat out the back... I hear Wind noise more than FAN noise.

Perhaps replacing that fan with a more expensive fan will take care of it? The case is about $60~70, with a 300watt PSU.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165106

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice