1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC Causing Network Traffic

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ahayes1ic, Sep 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ahayes1ic

ahayes1ic Thread Starter

Is there a program for windows XP pro out there that I could use to trace the source program that is causing excess network traffic (seems to be datagram traffic as it is in most cases only outgoing without replies)?

I have tried "task manager" and it gives me little indication of the offending program as the CPU usage is so low across all the programs using CPU.

Not sure if this is related but my Norton Antivirus now seems not to be able to get definition updates and the subscription is still valid until 2004??

I used a packet sniffer to identify the traffic and most of it seems to be going outside the local network to many different IP addresses.

Is there a way of setting up or checking a log to identify the program?

Cheers

2. GillIT

GillIT

You might want to virus check your computer another way. Sounds like a virus to me. Could be some variant of blaster worm. The only one I'm familiar with doesn't block popular virus scans.

If not, you can read up on Microsoft or any other major virus scan websites on how to fix the problem.

Of course, I may be wrong and could just be some minor problem. But that's my two cents.

3. BillC

BillC

I'm not sure I completely understand but are you concerned about a program accessing the internet? If so, how do you know this is happening? Do you have a firewall? If not, you could give the free basic version of Zone Alarm a try. It will alert you to programs when they try to access the internet and thus you'll have a better picture of what is going on.

4. ahayes1ic

ahayes1ic Thread Starter

I have Norton Internet Security on the border PC that is using WIN XP ICS.

The traffic seems to be constant upstream from the one pc. Thjis is evident from the network connection icon in the task bar. I also confirmed this by setting up a counter on ip traffic and viewing the results.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Install a firewall on the offending PC, and block out outgoing traffic. When you get the pop-ups for access requests for the Internet from the system, you'll soon identify the offending application.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167186

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice