1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

pc chip mobo

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SHfix, Jun 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SHfix

SHfix Thread Starter

I have a new pc-chip mobo M810 that I am having big problems with. The memory and cpu are fine and power to it are fine, but when I try hooking the fdd and hdd to it, I lose power. I have to take them off and reseat the atx1 cable to get power back. Is it the mobo or me?

ps. This just started happening today. Yesterday, I could hook the fdd and hdd up and had power but the fdd would not come on. I went into cmos and made sure my settings were enabled and set to the correct drive types. This mobo will not let me boot from floppy!

2. wedor

wedor

If you are certain that the cables are plugged in correctly, pin 1 lined up with the red stripe on both the board and the drives, and are sure the cables and drives aren't defective, then your board probably is bad.

3. SHfix

SHfix Thread Starter

Okay thanks. Pins are lined up correctly. I heard that there are many problems with this brand mobo.

4. wedor

wedor

You could say that.

5. jakoval

jakoval

I've heard that this motherboard is picky about power supplies. What wattage are you running?

6. SHfix

SHfix Thread Starter

300W

7. wedor

wedor

It probably would be a good idea to try a different power supply first.

8. SHfix

SHfix Thread Starter

That isn't making a whole lot of sense to me because its a brand new psu and everything else is running fine. Now I'm thinking that there is some reason why bios won't let floppy and cd drives read the boot disks correctly? Has anyone ever had that problem?

9. wedor

wedor

Ummm...no that's not likely. The newness of a part is not relative to it's reliability. What makes you think the BIOS suddenly changed but the PSU didn't?

10. SHfix

SHfix Thread Starter

I didn't really think that the bios changed...I thought that maybe something was wrong with it and that it maybe had something to do with the drives not reading. My disks are fine.

The reason I think the psu is good is because I tried it in another machine and mobo and it works fine. What could change with it?

11. jakoval

jakoval

Correct me if I'm misunderstanding, but in re-reading your posts, it appears you have 2 problems. (1) You "lose power" when everything is hooked up. (2) Your system will not boot from a floppy or CD.
    Assuming that you are correct in stating that the BIOS boot settings are correct, the second problem could result from a number of things - bad drives, bad connections, bad motherboard. It's also irrelevant if you don't address the first problem.
    From what I have seen these boards are not without their problems; however, many of these seem to be traceable to inadequate psu. The following is representative of many statements I found :

12. SHfix

SHfix Thread Starter

The first problem of no power when everything is hooked up is fixed. Strangely, it just started working after I seated and reseated cables over and over.

I've tested the drives in other machines and they're fine. I've even changed cables for them several times. I will look in cmos on the +5V and +3.3V lines and see if its 160 watts or better.

As for the video card, this board has onboard video. I don't think this person cares about a real good quality card installed.

Now I see what you guys mean about the psu. It can say 300W and not actually be running at that. Let me check that and I'll let you know. Thanks for your help again.

13. SHfix

SHfix Thread Starter

On the 3.3v line = 3.338
    " " +5v line = 4.945
    Cpu temp = 127F
    Cpu fan = 5400 rpm

14. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

What exactly happens when you try to boot to a bootable floppy disk? Error message? Does it ignore the floppy and boot into windows anyway? Do you have the boot order set correctly in the bios setup? Does the floppy drive work correctly once you get to windows?

15. SHfix

SHfix Thread Starter

It gives the error message that no boot record can be found when its searching in the A drive, then it moves on to the 2nd boot device that I have set as cd...I get the same error message.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/84334

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice