PC churning over. Why?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Meltdown

Hi, I'm using WIN 98 SE and whenever i leave my PC for a few minutes it starts "churning" over. It sounds like its trying to open a program or access the hard-drive. Its stops churning when the screensaver comes on after 10 minutes. This has only started recently and I don't remember changing any settings.

Can anyone tell me whats going on and how to stop this noise

Meltdown

Rache

Banned
Could it be an av? What progs are on in b/g? Type in (RUN) 'msconfig' and see what's running. It's not a fan is it?

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Write down everything in the left column of the MSCONFIG startup tab, along with which ones are checked.

How much RAM is installed?

Too many programs running in the background, along with too little RAM, will cause your hard drive to access virtual memory, which is the thrashing sound that you hear.

Frank's Windows 95/98 Tips:)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online