1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC closing down involuntarily &.....

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by littleangel, Feb 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. littleangel

littleangel Thread Starter

right 2 problems....sometimes my pc just turns itself off and it can take me 5 or 10 minutes before it lets me turn it back on, i can be doing anything, on the internet or anything else. Take today i just turned it on got to XP login and my desktop then the screen went blank and it turned itself off.

secondly a funny noise is comming from inside my pc on occassions which sounds like what a phone sounds like once a dial-up connection is in situe...crackly noises and a slight whistling noise..does anyone know what it is?

The latter only started after I reformatted.

My operating System is:-

AMD Duron Processor
    1.29 Ghz
    320 MB

I have 2 hard drives C & D

I have an internal modem but it's not in use it is disabled as I connect to the net via an external ADSL modem. I have no drivers installed for the internal modem.

2. wdjones22

wdjones22

Sounds like a power supply overheating. Perhaps you have a fan that is malfunctioning.

3. littleangel

even though I've only just turned it on?

4. dai

dai

yes and if it is the p/s it can take out most of the computer with it when it goes
    also check all fans especially cpu fan could be o/heating

5. littleangel

what do you mean "take out most of the computer"?

6. dai

dai

m/board/ram/video card
    o/heating
    cpu

7. Piringa

Piringa

I think he means that it can disable your entire computer because the power suply is what it is. The power bzz (electricity) source of energy.

Most likely it is your power suply if not that it might just be exactly what the other guy said. Your fans are not cooling properly. You might wanna open the case and take a look inside to make sure your fans are all working.

(((((((( If your computers warranty is still active do not open the computer))))))))) Just let the pro's handle it. If its under warranty call the service number of your computers brand (dell gateway etc).

If you decide to open it and fix it yourself this is a good time to read up on installing computer parts or its a good time to hang around the forums.

ps.. "Its just a machine but that machine is sometimes a persons life or way of life, love it cherish it and most importantly do not bash your computer against the wall" lol..

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!