1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC constantly crashing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Martini, Jan 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Martini

Martini Thread Starter

I'm starting this thread in this forum because my PC crashes when using my hard drive with Windows 7 on it and also with the drive I have XP on. I'm guessing something is wrong with my video card, but I want to make sure before I buy a new one.

This is the blue screen crash report I'm getting with Win 7:

When I disconnect the drive with 7 on it and connect the one with XP on it, I go a message about something being caught in an infinite loop.

I forget which drive it was with, but I also got a message:

I tried uninstalling the ATI video drivers and re-installing the latest ones on the drive with Win 7 on it, but that didn't do the trick. I didn't think it would since I'm having similar problems with both drives.

Just before this I moved my PC to another room and I don't yet have my speakers and printer hooked up, but I think everything else is hooked up correctly. Right now I am typing this while in Safe Mode and not having any problems. Any help will be appreciated.

2. Martini

Martini Thread Starter

I rolled back the drivers and did an automatic update and that didn't do the trick. I took out the video card and re-seated it and it started up fine this time, except there is a black border all around the screen, which is what there was when I first got this monitor. I'll adjust that and report back here if there is another crash.

3. rasec2012

rasec2012

how much ram dou you have?

4. matthewdownloads

matthewdownloads

It's probably running at a different (lower) resolution because you changed the drivers/removed the card, thereby giving you some black borders. If it's working fine now (apart from the borders), try setting the resolution back to the native one (You can do this under "Display" in control panel).

5. Martini

Martini Thread Starter

Plenty of RAM. This PC has had the same parts for years and I've never encountered this problem

It crashed again. Anyone have any ideas?

6. Amd_Man

Amd_Man

Without knowing what hardware and power supply you're running all we can do is guess!

7. Martini

Martini Thread Starter

What different advice could one give based on what power supply I have? It's the same one I've been using for years.

It's a homemade PC that's been working fine for a long time currently running Windows 7 on one HD and XP on the other. Video card is ATI Radeon HD 4600. PSU is Corsair VX450W

8. Amd_Man

Amd_Man

Lots of advice as it powers everything and can cause many issues on a pc. Do you think hardware and PSU's last forever? I'll let someone else help you after your reply.

9. Martini

Martini Thread Starter

It's a power supply that's been working in this unit for years. I'm asking how giving the model would help you answer. If you don't want to answer that question, that's fine. Of course PSUs don't last for ever; what's that have to do with anything? Now that I gave you the PSU details, what do you think?

10. matthewdownloads

matthewdownloads

I'll take the bullet in explaining why he wanted to know. Certain PSU's - particularly unbranded ones - cause problems when they don't supply the claimed power. This can cause many issues, particularly with graphics cards that demand a lot of power. If the graphics card isn't getting enough power it can crash giving you a blue screen. Amd_Man was asking what you were running to see if it's a good brand or not, and also what the rated power is. By being difficult in giving basic information you've obviously irritated him now(!).

More reason to suspect it. Power supplies lose power over time. From the website, for your card you need a 400W supply. If yours started out as a 450W, it may well be giving ~400W now.

That PSU is about the minimum you can run your GPU on. It may or may not be the cause of the problem.

11. Martini

Martini Thread Starter

I was difficult in giving information? I gave the information. Is asking why it would matter being difficult? Should I not want to learn while getting advice?

Any suggestions on what to do? BTW, I probably should have mentioned that it seems to crash when I'm watching a video. After it crashes, it continues to crash every time I start the PC until I get lucky and it works for the next several hours.

12. Amd_Man

Amd_Man

It was the manner in how you worded it! Anyways I asked because if it was a low quality PSU it helps narrow it down. Your Corsair PSU is made by SeaSonic for Corsair so it's a good brand but may be borderline depending on what 4600 series graphics card you're running. What 4600 card is it? Go into your bios and list the temps and voltages.

13. matthewdownloads

matthewdownloads

That's not a problem, but the way you worded it could appear a little confrontational, so much as you started by asking why it was relevant and implying it wasn't, then hiding the answer at the end of your post (which Amd_Man may have missed).

Watching a video is something that uses the graphics card. Do you have another power supply you can use to test out whether that is the culprit?

Edit: Just seen Amd_Man has replied, good advice, check the BIOS data and report back here. Particularly we are probably interested most in the 12V rail and temperature reading(s).

14. Martini

Martini Thread Starter

It's a BIOSTAR VA4653NH51 Radeon HD 4650 512MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card.

Vcore 1.236v
    DDR18V 2.032v
    +3.3V 3.264v
    +12V 11.921v
    current system temp: 30° C
    current CPU temp: 29° C

No, unfortunately I don't have another power supply.

15. matthewdownloads

matthewdownloads

According to http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5680860

Minimum PSU Requirement: 500W
    Your PSU: Corsair VX450W

Now, the manufacturer always over-rates the requirement to cover themselves. And 500W assumes the graphics card is working flat out 100%, you have a handful of extra components you might not have like CD-drives etc, and the PSU is an okay/poor make. But considering you're running on a 450W PSU that is many years old (so probably significantly less than 450W), this is likely your problem, even if it is a good make.

Try unplugging any extra devices temporarily (CD drive, USB sticks, lights, extra cases fan etc) and run the computer for a short while to see if it still crashes.

Though I think you need a bigger PSU for that card.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085951

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice