1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC constantly crashing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Martini, Jan 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Martini

Martini Thread Starter

2. matthewdownloads

matthewdownloads

Good brand, good power rating, good price (I envy you americans, you seem to pay in $ what we pay in £). 46A on the 12V rail which is good. Reviews seem okay, though I'd check a professional review as they often test units to see how good they really are (check google).

Did you try my suggestion of unplugging extra peripherals to see if it is a power issue?

3. Martini

Martini Thread Starter

I don't have any of those things except for a DVD burner (not in use). I've been running the PC for a few hours now and it hasn't crashed again.

4. matthewdownloads

matthewdownloads

Okay, well even if it works you really should replace that unit, preferably sooner rather than later. Let us know what you decide.

Chances are if you play a game it will crash quite quickly.

PS. The DVD burner will use up a small amount of power on the 12V rail it shares with the graphics card even when not in use.

5. Martini

Martini Thread Starter

I'm gonna go ahead and send for the PSU I linked to (Googled a little and it seems to be well liked enough). Thanks for the advice. I'll report back here after a few days with it to let you know how it goes.

6. Amd_Man

Amd_Man

We haven't concluded it's a power supply issue. We still need to know your other hardware. Motherboard memory, how many hard drives and any other peripherals installed. For the power supply you'd be better with this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207013 it's made by SeaSonic and carries a 5 year warranty. Lets do some more diagnosing before we conclude it's the power supply. You never reported what the temps and voltages were reading in the BIOS?

7. matthewdownloads

matthewdownloads

Yes he did(?)

We haven't "concluded" it's the power supply, but he's running way under the official minimum which is always a higher risk.

Not questioning you at all, but what makes the PSU you linked to significantly better than the one he linked to? It might be slightly more efficient (5%), but it's less powerful and $15 more expensive. I'm less familiar with the XFX brand than I am of corsair as well.

8. Amd_Man

Amd_Man

I now see that. I went to my posts and it went to page two!!!!

9. Martini

Martini Thread Starter

10. Amd_Man

Amd_Man

You're jumping to conclussions as you still haven't told us what motherboard and memory you're running. Your voltages look fine in the BIOS but your memory is showing just over 2.0 volts and that seems high for modern memory. If it's too high it will cause issues. Download Speccy (the free version), install, run and post what it says.

http://www.piriform.com/speccy/download

11. matthewdownloads

matthewdownloads

lol, you're in a rush(!). Okay, well don't worry, it's a good PSU and you probably need it even if it doesn't fix the problem (which it probably will do).

Follow Amd's advice and see if you discover any anomalies.

12. Martini

Martini Thread Starter

Memory: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231209

Operating System
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit SP1
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 @ 2.80GHz 36 °C
    Wolfdale 45nm Technology
    RAM
    4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 400MHz (4-4-4-12)
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. EP43-UD3L (Socket 775) 28 °C
    Graphics
    ASUS VS238 ([email protected])
    ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series (ATI)
    Hard Drives
    466GB Western Digital WDC WD5001AALS-00E3A0 ATA Device (SATA) 32 °C
    Optical Drives
    TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S223Q ATA Device
    Audio
    Realtek High Definition Audio

13. Amd_Man

Amd_Man

You've got good memory but it's rated at 1.8v-1.9v and your BIOS reading showed just over 2v. Confirm that reading in the BIOS.

14. Amd_Man

Amd_Man

A new PSU won't hurt either way. I'm just trying to make sure it's not something else.

15. Martini

Martini Thread Starter

You want me to go back in the BIOS and get the reading again?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085951

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice