1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Pc crashes and tries to turn back on, but cant for a while

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by katanza, Jan 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. katanza

katanza Thread Starter

My pc runs just fine untill i try to play a game, then after 5-15 minutes the pc crashes as if it has lost power, and tries to turn itself back on only to crash again instantly. I have to wait for about 10 minutes before the pc will start again. I have an i5 4690k CPU @3.50 Ghz and a GTX 980, as well as 16 gigs of RAM and an MSI "overclocking" motherboard. My CPU temps have been quite high at times, up to ~80 ish degrees celsius, but the crash has also occured at ~65-70 which should be fine as far as i know.

Any tips are greatly appreciated.

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    First I would remove any overclocking settings in the Bios.

If it still crashes I would suspect the Graphics card overheating so monitor it's temps please when playing a game that will crash the PC and post them in your next reply.

Or the PSU could be failing. What make and model PSU is it ?

3. katanza

katanza Thread Starter

The psu is a Corsair AX 860i 860W. My gpu is at ~30-40 degrees without load. Sadly i cant test with load yet as I need the pc for schoolwork and if it crashes once, it generally wont turn on for 10-20 minutes and becomes unstable for a while when it does turn back on.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The maximum safe operating temperatures for your processor and graphic card is:
    Processor - 72 C
    Graphic card - 98 C

Are you having these issues when NOT playing games?

---------------------------------------------------------------

5. katanza

katanza Thread Starter

If I try to play a game and it crashes, i usually encounter the problem multiple times the rest of the day, even while just browsing the web.

6. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Going by Frank's post it could be the Cpu that's overheating so try monitoring it's temperature while not playing a game.

7. katanza

katanza Thread Starter

Problem solved. It seems my PSU had gone bad. I switched it out and havent had any problems since.

8. lynx1021

lynx1021

Yes, a bad or failing PSU can cause all sorts of problems. That's why most techs recommend buying the best quality PSU you can afford!

9. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    I think the Corsair AX 860i 860W PSU has a 10-year warranty so you could try getting it fixed or replaced for free.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1203164

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice