1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC Crashing because of gfx card driver...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Aodmystic, Jan 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Aodmystic

Aodmystic Thread Starter

When I go to play a game my computer locks up and I have to do a cold restart. When windows reloads an error saying that my graphics card driver has failed. I have the most recent up to date drivers install for it and it still does this. Im running the following

Asus P4R800-VM Mobo
    ATi Radeon 8500
    80 Segate HDD
    20 Maxtor HDD
    386MB DDR Ram
    NEC DVD Rom
    P4 2.8Ghz HT

Thanks for the help

2. Scorpion

Scorpion

Try completely uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers.

If that doesn't work, you might want to try Omega's drivers for that card, found here.

Scorp.

3. Aodmystic

Aodmystic Thread Starter

Ok I installed the Omega drivers and it still freezes and locks up so what now?

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Test the system memory: http://www.memtest.org/

What version of the Catalyst drivers are you using? Is it the 5.13 drivers? Have you tried older drivers? This is a pretty old card and it doesn't necessarily need the latest drivers.

However even though it says there was a problem with the video drivers you should update your Chipset drivers and sound drivers too. Chipset drierts are critical for a video
    card to work properly. You should also have DirectX 9.0c and Service Pack 2 installed for Windows XP.

Southbridge and Gart drivers can be seperately downloaded (or wholely with the display driver) from here: https://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894&task=knowledge&folderID=27

You should also disable the onboard 9100 integrated video in the BIOS if you are using a seperate Radeon 8500 video card. The two will conflict and cause you problems.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/434296

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice