PC Crashing in games

pmonster

Whilst playing the game mordhau the other day on mid to high settings for about 40-60 minutes, my monitor suddenly went black with audio still playing. I had to force a shutdown to get my PC working properly again. I'm guessing this is my GPU overheating? Before my screen went black the gpu temperature was sitting at 85-86 degrees.

This has occurred before when playing dead by daylight which I resolved by lowering in-game graphics settings to the lowest possible settings, though this bugs me because around when I first had my pc I was able to handle the highest settings.

I've thought about maybe replacing the thermal paste of my rx 480 which I hear can help with temperature issues, though I'm unsure if this is a good idea yet.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit, Build 18363, Installed 20200527134755.000000+600
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7500 CPU @ 3.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 158 Stepping 9, CPU Count: 4
Total Physical RAM: 16 GB
Graphics Card: Radeon (TM) RX 480 Graphics armor 8gb
Hard Drives: C: 111 GB (39 GB Free); D: 931 GB (629 GB Free);
Motherboard: ASRock B250M Pro4, s/n M80-A1001901256
System: American Megatrends Inc., ver ALASKA - 1072009, s/n To Be Filled By O.E.M.
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled
PSU: Thermaltake Litepower 450 W ATX

Some pictures of my PC -

Oddba11

Jim
I'd start by getting the dust and dirt out of all the heatsinks and fans. The cpu cooler is half clogged already.

crjdriver

In addition to the above, one thing from your specs just jumps out at me; the pw supply. Minimum pw supply is 500W and the recommended pw supply is 550W. In addition, the litepower series is NOT a performance pw supply; it is a budget unit.
See this quote from XFX regarding their 480.
Minimum Power Supply Requirement: 500W
XFX Recommended Power Supply: XFX 550W PSU
It has been a few years since I have seen one of these cards however [as I recall] there was a problem with these cards drawing too much pw from the pci-e slot and overheating the motherboard pw regulators.

pmonster

In addition to the above, one thing from your specs just jumps out at me; the pw supply. Minimum pw supply is 500W and the recommended pw supply is 550W. In addition, the litepower series is NOT a performance pw supply; it is a budget unit.
See this quote from XFX regarding their 480.

It has been a few years since I have seen one of these cards however [as I recall] there was a problem with these cards drawing too much pw from the pci-e slot and overheating the motherboard pw regulators.
yeah that's a very good point, i'll try and upgrade my psu asap. Are thre any affordable brands you'd recommend?

crjdriver

I use either high end corsair ie AX, HX, or RM models in builds OR seasonic. Note these are not cheap or budget pw supplies. When you run a gaming type card, you do not want a cheap or low end pw supply. If money is really tight, a corsair CX series would be an alternative . Note the CX series is really for a basic build and not a gaming system however that is probably the cheapest one you could use.

Go with at the very least a 550W unit; preferably higher wattage however that would suffice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online