1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC denying me access to external hard drive?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Voni, Mar 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Voni

Voni Thread Starter

Hi guys, this is my first post, hopefully I'm in the right place and everything!

Ok, this is my problem. The other day I installed Windows 7 onto my PC, and now I'm having issues with my external hard drive. The PC reads it fine and everything, but when I try to open it get an error message that reads, 'I is not accessible. Access denied'. I'd assumed it would work as I'm the admin and sole user of the PC. I've tried giving permission for myself to access the files through Properties (Yeah, I know, figure that out), but it doesn't work. Has anyone got any ideas? Thanks a lot!

2. xenjke

xenjke

hi there
    is the hard drive formatted in fat or ntfs?
    are you sure your system is autorun-virus free?
    can you try exhdd anywhere else to doublecheck it is working fine?

3. Voni

Voni Thread Starter

I'll answer as best I can, I'm not amazing with PCs!

It's formatted in ntfs, I'm 99% sure it's virus free, and I'm not sure how I do the last thing?

4. xenjke

xenjke

my fault sorry
    just try to connect a hard drive to another PC to be sure its working
    is it USB?

5. Voni

Voni Thread Starter

Oh yeah, I've had it connected to another PC and it works perfectly, so it must be my PC with the problem. And yep, it's USB.

6. xenjke

xenjke

i think its a common permission problem after a downgrade from vista or higher
    first of all try to run CMD as an administrator (you can do it by right click on a "Run Command Line" or "Command Prompt" and select Run As Administrator) (you may have to hold shift while right clicking)(sorry for the mess, english is not my native, and i dont have winXP nearby)
    then:
    "TAKEOWN /F d:" where D is the external drive letter
    i don't recommend to do that if your system is on the external drive, or you have very valuable information there. No harm can possibly be done, but i always trying to be careful when things are about hard drives ;)

but before that - just try a command line (Win+R key) to enter the hard drive
    just enter the drive name there:

cmd
    d:
    dir \\ will display the contents
    cd directory name \\ will enter the directory

also you can try right click the DriveName in My Computer and select Open there, instead of Autorun.
    I'm still thinking its a virus :(

7. xenjke

xenjke

try this in safe mode (f8 on boot) as an Administrator

8. Voni

Voni Thread Starter

I really can't see how it's a virus. I wiped my PC before I installed 7, and it was only 2 days ago. My PC WAS playing up beforehand and wouldn't even read the drive at all, so God knows what's going on.

9. Voni

Voni Thread Starter

Ok, have just tried your suggestions, and still nothing doing?

10. xenjke

xenjke

try using explore option. Mouse2 -> Explore
    or
    1. Turn off Simple File Sharing, via Explorer, Tools, Folder Options, View, (NOT) use Simple File Sharing.
    2. Now when you right click the drive letter for the drive on the new PC you will see a Security tab (made invisible by Simple File Sharing).
    3. On the Security Tab, add yourself or any user, and grant Full Permission.
    4. Now you can Explore the drive like any other.

11. Voni

Voni Thread Starter

Right, I've attempted to do both of those things, but I can't find what you're describing. You said earlier I'd 'downgraded', but I've gone from Vista to Windows 7. Is this where the problem lies?

12. catlady13

catlady13

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/907970