PC died

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

longcat

last saturday, it was booting up and after about a minute (i wasn't looking at the screen so i don't know if windows had started yet) it simply stopped, everything... accompanied by a slight burning smell...

the activation button on the front of the tower didn't respond until i turned the switch at the back of the tower off & on, making the lights on the keyboard flash...

i tried the front button again and the same thing happened, the beginning of a boot up cut short with the slight burning smell... the second time it happened it took less time to stop...

i tried this a few times to try and find the source of the smell, each time, turning the power switch at the back off & on, then pushing the button at the front, each time the same thing happened taking less & less time each time...

until it was taking less than a second to turn itself off, the fan in the power supply and the CPU fan would begin to turn but it would stop almost immediately...

thinking it was the power supply (wrongly) i ordered a q-technology quiet power supply (which i wanted anyway) which arrived today,

i plugged it all in and it does exactly the same thing...

my current guess is it's either the motherboard or the CPU... both of which scare me...

any thoughts?

thanks in advance

x

You smell something burning you should have stopped there. Check the copasitors and see if they are swollen and leaking that means the motherboard is gone. You might have blown the cpu as well. Sounds like it is time for some major upgrades.

longcat

thanks, i've had a look at the capasitors and they seem alright to me...
, please have a look and see if something looks wrong to you...

x

longcat

thanks to buckfan1, for pointing out the blown capacitors on my motherboard... which identifies the problem...

x

longcat

in this day and age can i get a replacement board...

several years old as it is...

?

What kind of board is it?
Either look on the MB documentation if you have it, or look on the board itself.

longcat

i found exactly the same motherboard as mine in a computer fair and got it really cheap...

i have 700 Mb of SD Ram and some kind of AMD processor, i always thought it was a duron but now i'm confused...

now i have further question about said motherboard...

x

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online