1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC display and sound freezing while gaming, PC stays powered

Discussion in 'Games' started by TashaCD, Jun 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TashaCD

TashaCD Thread Starter

Hi guys, thanks for any help in advance!
    I'm beginning to get super frustrated. My PC is fine while doing regular things (usually), but when trying to game it constantly freezes. I can be gaming anywhere from 5 minutes to a few hours before a freeze happens, and happens regardless of how demanding the game is and even on the lowest settings. The screen freezes, I cannot tab in or out or ctrl/alt/del, any game or voice chat sound stops, but the PC remains powered on with all fans still moving. I initially thought it was overheating as the hotter my apartment got the more often it would freeze but that seems to be a coincidence. I've cleaned up and reapplied thermal paste just to be sure that wasn't the issue. I've reseated and reconnected everything. Tried changing which slots the RAM are in, and using one RAM at a time to eliminate faulty RAM is an issue. I have also tried plugging in to different outlets on the off chance it was a power issue since I use a backup battery. I have tried doing a clean install of windows 10. All drivers are up to date. System is not overclocked.

In my event log I of course have event 41 Kernal power as I have to force restart, under error tab there is Event 69 AppModel-Runtime, Event 7000 and 7009 service control manager, in the last hour I have 4 instances of Event ID 10016 DistributedCOM. Not sure if that is helpful or not.

Here are my specs:
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD FX(tm)-9370 Eight-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 21 Model 2 Stepping 0
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 16281 Mb
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon R9 200 Series, -1 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 1862 GB (686 GB Free);
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated
    Additionally my PSU is Corsair AX760 760W 12V V2.31 80 Plus Platinum

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Download MemTest and let it run for several hours. RAM can still boot up correctly when it only occasionally fails.

3. TashaCD

TashaCD Thread Starter

I have done this previously but I'll do it again now anyway. Will reply with the result, if it doesn't freeze during it lol

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

Remember - several hours.

5. TashaCD

TashaCD Thread Starter

Will 5 do it or do we need longer?

6. lunarlander

lunarlander

5 is a good number.

7. TashaCD

TashaCD Thread Starter

Test ran for 6 1/2 hours. 4/4 passes 0 errors

8. itanus123456

itanus123456

have you checked the temps of you'r graphics card?

9. TashaCD

TashaCD Thread Starter

Here are my temps, this screenshot was literally SECONDS before a freeze. The only things running were discord, spotify, steam and Borderlands 2, plus whatever background processes I couldn't end.

Screenshot (340).png

10. TashaCD

TashaCD Thread Starter

I thought the CPU temps were really high but I was told by friends and the tech shop I took it to ("hey your pc is good to go!" lol crashes as soon as I get home) that 70 is fine. But online I read it isn't.
    (Forgive my cluelessness this is my first desktop let alone first I built myself)

11. itanus123456

itanus123456

the temps are good, you can still do benchmark to you'r graphics card with heaven's benchmark and see if its freezing as well.

12. TashaCD

TashaCD Thread Starter

Speaking of bench marks. Late last night I was still playing around with it and was running cinebench tests. The PC consistently froze everytime my CPU hit 69-72 degrees. Why? I have no idea. I went into bios and changed the CPU ratio from auto to 18, I got through cinebench twice without going above 64 degrees that way. So it seems it is a temp issue with my CPU. Why would it be dying at such a low temp?

13. marc_89

marc_89

Based on a few searches online for your specific CPU, it tends to thermal throttle around 62 degrees Celsius. Intel CPUs seem to be capable of handling higher temps than AMD ones, or at least AMD CPUs produced around the era of your one. This might be why people aren't expecting your CPU to have temp issues at such a "low temp".

You could try cleaning dust out of your PC, reapplying thermal paste or adding more cooling solutions to the case. All of those should help bring temps down.

14. TashaCD

TashaCD Thread Starter

Yeah when I searched online everyones opinion of okay temps was different it seemed so I couldn't tell. Either way its obviously my tempts killing my PC.

I've already cleaned and reapplied thermal paste, I have water cooling and 6 fans. I'll probably move the radiator behind the intake fans and see how much that helps. The fact I have to underclock it just to keep it running sucks.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1228642

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice