Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

PC does not start up properly

738 views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  crjdriver 
#1 ·
So I have this PC with windows 7 on it and it has stopped turning on properly. After pressing the button, the manufacturer's logo shows up and it boots into windows. Sometimes it boots fully and I reach the desktop however the screen is shaky and if I click on an icon, it shakes like crazy and turns purple or green fully. Other times it just boots into a black void. At first I thought this was an OS issue, so I tried restoring to a previous point by booting into safe mode. It works completely fine in safe mode by the way. However, restore points were having issue with some corrupt file in D drive. So I formatted the D drive and there were no restore points left. Next thing I tried was making a memory partition in safe mode and try and boot into ubuntu from my USB. However I was met with the same wavy, shaky screen. Also, every time after I restart from safe mode, even the manufacturer's logo screen is shaky and it keeps restarting being shaky and sometimes gives an error 1962: no operating system found. But then I force shut down and turn it on and everything is back to normal upto windows boot. I think its a hardware issue but I am not able to put my finger on it. I have videos of the shaky screen and I can share those if needed. Please help

#4 ·
A very quick and easy way of telling IF this is a hardware problem OR a windows/driver problem is to boot the system with a linux live usb. If you have the same or similar issues with the live usb, you have one or more failed parts ie motherboard, ram, pw supply, etc. If everything runs fine under linux, you [probably] have a windows and or driver problem; clean install windows ie from an install dvd or usb NOT from within windows.

#7 ·
windows works okay in safe mode
Since you have the problem in linux and it works OK in safe mode, I would tend to think you have a pw supply problem. In safe mode, only basic drivers are loaded and things like video use less pw.
Most big box systems have very limited bios options however IF you can monitor voltages ie 12V, 5V, and 3.3V values, do so. Let it run in the bios for a few min and see if voltages go up and down. If you cannot monitor voltages in the bios, something like hwinfo64 will also work.
https://www.hwinfo.com/download/

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.