1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC doesn't always boot - XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by techman007, Jul 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. techman007

techman007 Thread Starter

PC Specs:
    AMD Sempron 2600+
    ASUS KV8-MX Motherboard
    512 MB PC3200 DDR
    80GB WD HDD
    Windows XP Home

Sometimes the PC will not boot. When I press the power switch the green power light comes on and the amber hard drive light stays on but nothing on the monitor. Once in a while, at random, it will boot and all is fine. You can restart as many times as you want and it will stay on indefinitely, but as soon as it is shut down that's when the boot trouble starts.

I have tried new RAM, Power Supply, Check Disk, Fixboot, Scanned for viruses & spyware, checked temperature of cpu, changed ide cable, checked BIOS settings, updated XP, defragged the drive, disconnected anything unnecessary, changed power switch, checked motherboard for signs for damage. Nothing seems to work, please help.

2. Rich-M

Rich-M

Sounds like you are down to motherboard as you certainly did all I could think of...I am also wondering if the power switch itself could be the problem...what exactly happens when it does not boot? I mean normally I would say psu here first off.

3. Sparrow

Sparrow

With the intermittent problem, it would seem that something is beginning to fail.

IMO - The harddrive, possible floppy or CDROM drive. As well corrupted BIOs.

4. techman007

I changed the power switch and still the same. When I power up the power supply turns on and all the fans, cpu & case, work but nothing shows on monitor, its black and the hard drive light stays on constantly.

5. techman007

I have disconnected the floppy & CDROM drive. I also checked the hard drive using Western Digitals Diagnostics Tool and Check Disk everything is ok. I also reloaded the BIOS default settings.

6. Sparrow

Sparrow

More possiblities,
    Motherboard grounding out.
    CPU beginning to fail.
    Motherboard beginning to fail (My personal opinon "ASUS" are problem childs, from
    my own experiences).
    Bad cables (They'll fool ya sometimes - been there, done that).

I understand the frustration, a lot of times its just a little thing that causes a lot of problems.

7. unbidden

unbidden

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

Something siad here caught my eye and I notice you have not tried a different video card, and that could easily be the answer also.

9. techman007

Recent things I have tried:
    Motherboard is not grounding out
    Installed new cables on all devices even power cable
    No problems in the Event Viewer
    Tried a different video card & monitor

10. unbidden

unbidden

It could be as simple as a problem with the boot.ini file. Use the Recovery Console, run fixbmbr to repair, if no luck run fixboot to rewrite the mbr.

If no luck I'd try the repair install I linked on my previous post.

11. techman007

This cannot be a Windows issue it must be hardware related because I installed a new hard drive with xp and I get the same results. It takes many attempts to get the pc to boot. I switch off the power supply and unplug it for 1 to 5 minutes. Then plug it in again and switch in on and press the power button. I may have to do this several times to get it to start. Any way to test the motherboard?

12. Rich-M

Rich-M

That's a psu problem....

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/484789

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice