PC doesnt boot up.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

rumi

hi and thanks in advance for any help,

HP pavilion PC, running Vista, switched itself off and wont reboot. Blue light comes on around the on switch and it makes some whirring, but screen stays black. Screen will display a "no signal" message if you press buttons on the monitor.

History. Over last couple of months it has occasionally just switched itself off for no apparent reason, but rebooted ok each time. More recently it has been making more and more noise and switchoffs became more frequent.

I opened it up, took the fan case off and cleaned up all the caked in dust over the CPU and cleaned a couple of other fans and generally cleaned up inside with a car vacuum cleaner and soft brush. I was careful but had to move a few wires aside, and lightly vacuumed over the pcb. I put it all back together and it worked fine and very quietly and I was very smug and proud of myself. 2 days later, just surfing the net, and it just switched off like before, but now doesnt wake up. I tried pressing f8 to get safe mode but that didnt happen either.

I know its a bit of an old lady now, and I have recent back ups so its not the end of the world, but I live in Japan and getting an English version PC here is a bit of a pain, so I would like to save it if I can.

Thanks again, Rumi

dustyjay

Jay
Using a Vacuum (even a car Vacuum) is not recommended inside a PC Case. They are Static Electricity Generators and can cause severe damage to the sensitive Micro Circuits on a motherboard. That is for future reference.

When you try to start the computer do you get any indication on the monitor that the computer has been turned on? Such as the HP Splash Screen? Anything other than a blank screen? I ask this because HP uses very low quality Power Supplies in their older Desktop Computers. It may be that your power supply was failing and has now failed. The easiest way to test this is to connect a know good power supply to the appropriate connections on the motherboard, Video Card if necessary, and boot drive and attempt to start the computer.

rumi

Using a Vacuum (even a car Vacuum) is not recommended inside a PC Case. They are Static Electricity Generators and can cause severe damage to the sensitive Micro Circuits on a motherboard. That is for future reference.

When you try to start the computer do you get any indication on the monitor that the computer has been turned on? Such as the HP Splash Screen? Anything other than a blank screen? I ask this because HP uses very low quality Power Supplies in their older Desktop Computers. It may be that your power supply was failing and has now failed. The easiest way to test this is to connect a know good power supply to the appropriate connections on the motherboard, Video Card if necessary, and boot drive and attempt to start the computer.
Hi, thanks for replying,

No splash screen or any sign on the monitor, the keyboard has 3 lights labelled - 1, A, downarrow symbol. All three light up momentarily when the computer is first switched on, and after that the light labelled "1" stays on. This is the only sign of life except that the cpu tower makes a whirring noise.

rumi

I am not at all sure what to do to attach a power supply to appropriate connections on motherboard ??

rumi

Hi Jay,

thanks for responding, here is the sys info :-

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium, Service Pack 2, 32 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6300 @ 1.86GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 6
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 3581 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 7500 LE, 256 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 233271 MB, Free - 38578 MB; D: Total - 5200 MB, Free - 569 MB;
Motherboard: ASUSTek Computer INC., LEONITE
Antivirus: Avira Antivirus, Disabled

The Model number of the CPU is Pavilion t3000

Hope this is good ??

thanks again

Her is a video of connecting to the motherboard
Then you have to connect the hard drive and DVD power also, see how the existing is connected.

rumi

OK thanks, I`m sure I could plug the connectors in ok, but how do I get a known good power supply ?? I have a UK bought computer but living in Japan, I suspect buying and getting a new power supply delivered may be more costly than buying a new tower - which may be a better option as this one has vista which is no longer supported and an upgrade seems uneconomical too - Also we are by no means sure that the power supply is faulty, I havent had a reply to the diagnostic info I provided about the supply ?? Not sure where we go from here, but thanks for replying .

rumi

Hi, sorry to be pushy, but Im still stuck with this and hoping someone can still help.

Thanks,

Rumi

dustyjay

Jay
Even though you purchased the computer in the UK, you should still be able to find a Power Supply that will work with it in Japan. According to HP the t3000 desk top computers are no longer supported by HP. So you are kind of on your own to find compatible Parts for it. You might try looking for a compatible power supply on eBay by using the specs on the power supply in your computer. HP notoriously used a very low quality brand of power supplies (BESTEC) known for causing problems when they Die often causing Blown Motherboards and or other components.

rumi

Thanks for reply.

Are you saying that I need to buy a new power supply and get it delivered from UK when we havent ascertained that there is anything definitely wrong with the old one ???

If you have a digital multimeter you can check the voltages of the 20 pin connector like in the trouble shooting link I sent you.

dustyjay

Jay
Really, the only way to test a power supply properly is under a normal operational load. A volt meter test could read the proper voltages under no load.

@ rumi, no I am saying you can take the power supply to a local computer shop to see if they might have an acceptable match or maybe even be able to test the power supply for you.

rumi

Ok thanks, I do have a multimeter, but that needs a minor repair of its own (long story) but it looks like my first step in any case is to take the power unit out of the box. Other than making sure its not plugged in, any other things I need to be careful of ?

Thanks Rumi

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online