1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC doesn't give signal

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by isnotlamybad, Feb 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. isnotlamybad

isnotlamybad Thread Starter

Hi there. I have an pc which is about 9 years old, Windows XP, and it's been unused for a long time.

Today I tried to turn it on, but nothing happens. I mean, the fans work, the pc has power on the usb ports, the mouse has that laser light, but the keyboard leds doesn't work like they used to, and the monitor doesn´t work. I connected the monitor to my newest pc, and it works fine. So, I did some research, and realized that it used to do a beep noise, but it doesn't do anymore. After some googling, I removed the RAM, replaced the BIOS battery, repluged all the wires and connections, and nothing makes it beep.

Any suggestion? I didn't wanted to spend much money, but now that my parents started to use facebook on their phones, I guess that pc will still work a lot.

I cant give you many specificatins, but I can see that it has 512 RAM, AMD processor, and the motherboard is an ASRock. I can post pictures of it, if it helps.
    Thank you all for the attencion.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

To attempt to troubleshoot the problem, do the following;

1 System OFF, open the case and pull out any add-in card ie sound, nic/lan, etc. Leave the video card install however reseat the card and be sure it is fully seated in the slot.
    2 Pull the pw connectors from ALL drives; both hd and optical.
    3 Disconnect any usb device ie printer, scanner, hub, etc. Leave your keyboard connected [if usb]
    4 Since you have already replaced the cmos battery, there is no need to clear cmos.
    5 Pw ON and see if the mb will POST. If it does, then shutdown and start connecting devices one at a time until you find the failed part. If it does not POST in the above config, then you are going to have to start swapping parts with known good/working units; ie pw supply, mb, ram, etc.

FWIW I would put my money on either a failed pw supply OR a failed mb. 9yrs ago was right when the "Bad cap fiasco occurred] I would get a bright light and give the mb a VERY close inspection. Look for any capacitors that look like the pics below.

Attached Files:

3. isnotlamybad

Thank you so much for the reply.
    I disconnected all the wires from the power device, except the ones that link to the motherboard. About the video and sound cards, I don't know where they are in the mb, so is it possible they are inbuilt?
    The capacitators are all good, and I've taken a couple pictures for you to see
    http://i.imgur.com/0dHptvl.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/kAdyRGL.jpg

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Yes, it is possible you have onboard sound/video. It looks like the caps I circled are failing. They appear to be bulging.
    One other thing. Post any pic here rather than on a third party site. Most people do not like clicking on an unknown link.

Attached Files:

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I would still suspect the pw supply. You have a via chipset mb and boards using the via chipset are generally pretty cheap so I would expect to see one or more failing caps. This may or may not stop POST.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

One other item. As old as that board is, I would not put any money into fixing the system. It appears to be a socket 462 type board and that is many, many generations old tech.

7. isnotlamybad

I took another detailed picture of those caps, because they seem in good shape.
    Now, I've noticed that the power supply does a very little sound that doesn't stop until I plug out the cable. It's a very weak sound, that's why I haven't noticed before.
    Anyway, I will try to change the power supply in the next days. If it doesn't work, I give up, because the PC is no longer in his best shape.
    Thank you very much for the help!
    PS: Just found out how does the attachment work :p
    [​IMG]

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1142815

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice