1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC doesn't recognise 1TB external USB drive in Windows

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Anasttin, Apr 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Anasttin

Anasttin Thread Starter

Hello.

I bought an external hard drive a couple of days ago and have a problem.

I copied movie files onto it and tried to watch them on my TV by plugging the drive into my set top box, but it did not recognise the drive.

Checking the drive properties, I saw it was formatted as exFat and I believe that was the problem as I believe the set top box only recognises FAT32.

I used a free utility called guiformat.exe to format the drive to FAT32 as no other windows or other tools I had gave FAT32 as an option.

After doing the format, the drive does not work properly any longer.

Plugging it into the PC, it sees the drive as "Removable Disk (H)" but when I click it it says "Please insert a disk into Removable disk (H)".

Right-clicking the drive to try formatting to any other format no longer works.

I've tried going into disk management and formatting from there but format is not an available option as no partition appears on the drive.

Can anyone please assist?

Many thanks in advance.

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Is the drive listed in Windows Drive Manager?

If so, highlight the drive and delete all partitions. Then highlight the drive and create a new partition and format as needed.

You could also use the drive manufacturers disk tools (available from the drive manufacturers website).

Having said all of that, you stated that you plugged it into your "set top box". What is that device? Most "set top boxes" (ie: cable boxes, SAT boxes, etc.) don't allow random storage devices to be connected. The ports are generally disabled or only allow storage to be connected which is then formatted and used by the box itself.

3. Anasttin

Anasttin Thread Starter

Thanks Oddba11.

I've attached a picture of what I see in Windows Drive Manager (Capture.PNG). I think the external USB with the problem is "Disk 4 Removable H" and it doesn't appear in the top panel - only the bottom panel.

If I right click it in the bottom panel, the only options I get are "change drive letter and paths" and properties - neither of which helps.

I actually have another drive that plugs into the set top box and is recognised fine, so this one should too.

Really appreciate your help and time on this. :)

Attached Files:

4. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1225264

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice