pc doesnt show password prompt

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Zer0Haze

My pc recently just stopped asking a password , there is just no password prompt , meaning i cant log in anymore.
Now i just got into safe mode but i dont really know what to do from here on out.
Can anyone help me?
Thanks very much

etaf

Wayne
how did you set up the PC - with a Microsoft account - so you needed to put your username , an email address and password
what happens when you login - do you see a picture and if you left click on the picture - anything show up ?

You were able to get into safe mode OK
If you goto settings
accounts - what info can you see there
username ?
account type ?

Zer0Haze

I just got it back from repair yesterday so the only thing i did is change the password to the one i normally use so i could log in with that , when it came back from repair they changed the hard drive , so the password was really the only change i made.

Now if i go to setting and accounts , i see there is only a local account called "user" that is also the administrator and thats the account of which i changed the password to my own.

etaf

Wayne
When it was returned , you logged in OK with the User account, and who ever provided the password- which worked OK
you then went into the accounts and changed the password

what do you see on the screen when you first switch the PC on - a picture
then when you left click does it show any users names "user" or change user ?

Zer0Haze

If you mean the log in screen , i do see this random background picture windows probably generated , then the place where the password prompt should usually be is just not there.
At the bottom right of scree i do see thes three icons , the ones that are always there , like the wifi symbol and such , nothing really usefull.
Now if i left click the screen , nothing happens.

etaf

Wayne
Try using the
control + ALT + DEL Key
what appears now ?

you may have fast startup enabled
http://superuser.com/questions/1152987/windows-10-password-prompt-not-showing-on-startup

so one of those icons is the power icon
hold down the shift key and click on the power and restart
that should restart and give the safemode again

once logged in as safemode
goto the search bar at the bottom left
type MSCONFIG
goto the boot table
whats ticked there ?

did you just power off the machine in the past , I believe if you do this 3 times, it goes into safemode - that maybe how you entered before

Zer0Haze

I never left safemode since writing the post so i'm still in there , but when i tried the control + ALT + DEL option before it also did not make anything appear.
If i go to msconfig and look at the boot table , i see that the "boot into safe mode" is ticked together with "minimal".
I tried unticking it and restarting but then i just get back to the login screen without the prompt so that did not help anything.
So now i'm just in safemode again with that option ticked.

Thanks very much for your help so far , really appreciate it.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I just got it back from repair yesterday so the only thing i did is change the password
when it came back from repair they changed the hard drive
Why was your computer in for repairs, and why was its hard drive replaced?
How was Windows 10 reinstalled in it?

--------------------------------------------------------------

Zer0Haze

One day the harddrive just crashed so it had to be replaced , don't know anything about how windows 10 was reinstalled though.

etaf

Wayne
did you try holding the shift and restarting , choosing normal startup

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online