1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved PC dropped off the network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Accountancy101, Aug 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Accountancy101

Accountancy101 Thread Starter

Hi,

First ever forum post so here goes :)

We have 1 server, 8 PC network. All PCs are running Windows 7 however 1 PC has just dropped off the network and I cant reinstate it. Its a standard fit Lenovo Thinkcentre Edge72.

The trouble shooter suggests it the network adapter (was onboard). It is enabled and seems to fine in the Device Manager. I have updated, uninstall/reinstalled the drviers but no joy. Disabled onboard in BIOS. Bought a new PCI LAN card added up to date drivers, no joy. Even tried another PC on the same line (just in case). I think that all leads to the PC.

Ipconfig says the media is disconnected and tried a few commands but my knowledge in this area is lacking.

Can anyone suggest something to try, or let me know if you require further info.

TIA

2. Sponsor

3. metallica5456

metallica5456 Andrew Trusted Advisor

Have you swapped out the LAN cable as well?

4. Accountancy101

Thanks for the reply

I hadn't. I have proved the line worked as a different PC connected fine on the same line. I've now just change the cable, just in case, but nothing.

Can there be anything that stops the server's signal coming through? I have also stopped the Windows Firewall and anti-virus. And tried restarting the DHCP service on the PC.

5. pcsolve

pcsolve

Boot the PC from a live PC to rule out Windows settings / prove a hardware fault.

6. metallica5456

To elaborate on the above, boot from a Live system like Ubuntu or Puppy Linux. If it works fine, then its a windows setting issue. If it doesn't, then its hardware.

7. Accountancy101

That was new to me but...

I have installed Ubuntu to a USB and booted the pc from the usb (without installing). It seems to have worked fine. The network settings show a valid IP address and the correct DNS route. And I can see the server and router although I cant access them. I assume this is a limitation not having it installed.

As mentioned earlier, it does suggest to be a Windows setting issue.

8. metallica5456

9. Accountancy101

Solved.

Within the adapter settings was AVG Network Filter Driver. Turned it off and anyway we go!

Thanks

metallica5456 likes this.
  10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1194310