PC either refuses to start or starts and then freezes

Verity123

So about three weeks ago my PC (which is fairly old but still in working older and is also home made) began having issues on startup. It started normally, but after getting to the home screen (Windows 7 operating system) the screen went blank. I currently have it hooked up to my TV rather than a monitor and so I just got the 'no signal' default TV screen. Since then every few days it will have the same issue, or the screen will freeze, or the PC itself will start up with lights on and the fan running but there will be no display. This even happens if I tried to start it up in safe mode. My fiancé knows a bit about computers and has suggested a few options (graphics card, temperature issue or something wrong with the hard drive) but either nothing he does helps or he isn't sure how to fix the problem. Also, on startup, the disk usage is almost always 100%. I cannot include the technical specifications of the computer because of these issues as I am currently using my fiancé's computer.

plodr

Liz
It sound like the onboard video chip or the current graphics card is dying. That's why you see video sometimes and other times you don't.

Verity123

Is there a way to confirm that this is the problem? I'd just rather not have the expense of a new graphics card only to find out that wasnt the issue.
Thank you!

crjdriver

Is there a way to confirm that this is the problem? I'd just rather not have the expense of a new graphics card only to find out that wasnt the issue.
Thank you!
It can be a lot of things however the only way you are going to find out what is causing the problem is by testing in a systematic manner.
System OFF and pw cord removed, open the case. Reseat atx and aux/cpu pw connectors. Be sure they are fully seated. Reseat the memory and again be sure it is fully seated. Replace the pw cord.

Since we have no idea what specs you are running, you may or may not have onboard/onchip video. IF you do, pull your video card out and connect the monitor to the onboard port on the motherboard. See if it works now.

If you can boot into the bios, check the following; cpu temp, 12V, 5V, and 3.3V values. Let the system run in the bios for at least two min to stabilize temps/voltages. Post the info here.

If possible, test your memory with memtest [bootable media] Let memtest run for at least 1hr. If you do not have any errors, the memory is probably fine.

Note you do not need to run any software to find the specs. Open the case and look. Each part will have a mfg and part# either silkscreened on the PCB or there will be a label with the relevant info.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online