Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

PC Failed to Start

394 views 9 replies 2 participants last post by  donsor 
#1 ·
A few days ago when I first turned on my PC I failed to hear the "Beep" and my monitor and keyboard did not come on. I opened up the unit and notice the fans including the CPU fan running. However I noticed that the two graphic card fans were not running. I proceeded to round up the basic suspects. I checked the PSU with a PSU Tester and it seemed to work OK in accordance with the test procedure. I also removed the graphic card and tested it in another working PC and it worked OK. I also replaced the CMOS battery. My next suspect is perhaps the motherboard, an Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0. Is there anything else I further check before concluding that the MoBo is kaput?

Thanks

Don

fx Pro

See less See more
#2 ·
Pw supply testers are not really all that great. A much better test is to install or connect a known good pw supply. Note you can just connect atx and aux pw connectors; hit the ON button and see if the motherboard will POST.

A pw supply tester does not put each voltage rail under a load to test. A pw supply may "Test" OK and still be failing.

BTW that is a pretty good board. I did a number of builds with that exact motherboard back a number of years ago. Very stable and overclocked well.

#3 ·
I'm not to savvy on this but when you said "just connect atx and aux pwr connectors did you mean connect the 8-pin EATX12 and the 24-pin EATXPWR connectors to the motherboard and start the PC? Shall I leave all other connectors disconnected? When you said "see if the motherboard will POST" you meant if will hear the beep? Thanks for your patience.

#5 ·
This is what I've done so far. I jumpered the "green" (#4) with the adjacent black (#5) of the 24 pin connector and powered up the PSU and observed the fan start. Next test I'll do is to I'll connect the "atx" and "aux pwr" to the mother board but before I push the Start (ON) button, should I disconnect all other peripherals such as the optical drives, graphic card and hard drives from the motherboard?

#10 ·
One thing that I noticed but failed to report was that there was a red light in the middle of the board that was ON. I checked the User Guide and it was labeled "CPU LED" The Guide indicated that the LED Light goes ON if the CPU was malfunctioning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.