1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC failing to boot, crashing and showing corrupt file messages HELP!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by stephannand, Apr 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stephannand

stephannand Thread Starter

Yesterday I posted about how my PC was trying to reinstall windows for some reason. Eventually, I went through with it and as it turns out it must have beena repair install because nothing was lost.

However, the computer is freezing up and rarely booting (I'm hoping I can get some responses to this thread before it crashes again and I might not be able to reboot).

Upon restarting, I've had the following error messages:

"following file is missing or corrupt:

\windows\system32\config\system"

"<windows root>\system32.hal.dll
    (reinstall a copy of the above file)"

What to do? Total novice here, I have no idea what I'm doing. Also, I'm trying to back a few things up incase it goes into total meltdown but my external harddrive isn't being recognised. Any help would be much appreciated.

2. Dan O

Dan O

3. stephannand

stephannand Thread Starter

My computer isn't reading my external hard drive; it's saying it needs drivers (it doesn't have drivers - it's basically plug in and use). I also tried sticking a pen drive in the USB and the computer wants drivers for that too. Help?!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/701225

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice