1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC Failure!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bipo, Feb 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bipo

bipo Thread Starter

I have been having problems with booting my hard drive. (I have XP Pro) Here's a list of what happened:

December
    1. froze
    2. rebooted.
    3. froze at login
    4. rebooted
    5. froze before login screen
    6. rebooted
    7. tried to get into BIOS
    8. froze
    9. reboot
    10. only booted cdrom, wouldn't load hard drive, monitor said "video cable connected?"
    11. shutdown
    12. reseated cpu
    13. worked fine

This happened about 5 more times when I unplugged PC and took it with me on vacation, with the exception that it wouldn't go through steps 1-9.

About a 2 weeks ago I backed up my hard drive, and last week I got a worm so I reformatted my hard drive and it happened again... steps 10 -13. Last night, I brought my pc back home from a friends and same thing happened except instead of going to step 13, when I turned the power on it had power for less than a second. (the cpu fan spun for about a second, then stopped)
    I tried again and same thing. Then I tried a differant outlet, then differant suge protector, and same thing.

That's where I am now. :(

2. bipo

bipo Thread Starter

bump

3. norton850

norton850

The information you have provided really doesn't necessarily point to the hard drive. For example getting into BIOS wouldn't be affected by the HD. At this point it looks like you've either created another problem or the original one is worse. I would first check to make sure that with what you did last night that you remounted the CPU, heat sink and fan correctly and didn't damage anything. Overall could also be a problem with the power supply. At least that's a good place to start.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543868

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice