1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC Fans

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by darnold, Apr 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. darnold

darnold Thread Starter

How do you know if you have the PC Fan installed properly?? Should the fan be blowing air into the computer or should it be blowing air out of the computer?

Thanks!

2. zeddy

zeddy

For fans at the front of the case they should be sucking air in and the fans at the rear blowing the air out of the case, so you can get a flow of air through the case.

3. darnold

darnold Thread Starter

OK... I dont have a fan in the front... I do have a fan in the rear and it is blowing alot of air into my hand... I also have a fan ontop of my heat sink...
    The computer is very loud with the fans...

4. zeddy

zeddy

the fan blowing air into your hand is doing exactly what it is supposed to - taking hot air out of the PC.

If the CPU fan is loud you could look at other solutions such as the Zalman heatsinks and fans which are silent, or get a fan adaptor and put an 8cm fan on your CPU heatsink - these fans are larger, slower (less noise) but push through at least the same air as 6cm fans - because thet are larger.

5. darnold

darnold Thread Starter

:eek: My computer sounds like a JET ENGINE running all the time... I cant here anyone in the other rooms.. I would like to lower the noise of the CPU... How can I go about doing that?
    I think it is the processor fan but it could be the case fan.. Im running a Soyo Dragon+ with an AMD 1900+...

I have these fans in my computer now...
    Thermaltake VOLCANO 7 Variable Fan Speed Control

Max Air Flow
    46 CFM at 2900rpm
    53 CFM at 5000rpm

Noise
    27 dB at 2900 rpm
    39 dB at 5000 rpm

Thermaltake SMART FAN Variable Fan Speed Control

Max Air Flow
    46 CFM at 2900rpm
    53 CFM at 5000rpm

Noise
    27 dB at 2900 rpm
    39 dB at 5000 rpm

What can I get to lower the noise of the computer but keep the processor and case cool enough??

Please advise... :rolleyes:

6. McTimson

McTimson

Get a temperature monitoring program first, and then do some testing when the fan is at its' high speed, and when it's at its' low speed. If the temperature is good enough when it's at the low speed, then keep it there. If that 1900+ isn't overclocked, then keeping it at the low speed should be fine, but test it first.

7. darnold

darnold Thread Starter

When do you know when it is at its high speed and low speed... I just want a quiet computer... not a loud one!

8. zeddy

zeddy

Check out this guide for your volcano 7 as you see it has a switch to change the fan speed.

It might be the temp sensor in your smart thermaltake fan is not working properly.

9. darnold

darnold Thread Starter

I dont have the one with a switch on it...
    I was thinking of getting rid of those 2 fans and going new!

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/221372

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice