1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC feels very laggy after failed reset

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 0917, Aug 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 0917

0917 Thread Starter

Brand new laptop, Lenovo Legion y530
    Specs: i7 8th gen, 16gb ram, GTX105ti, 1TB HDD & 16Gb optane memory

I accidentally installed malware and I had to reset my laptop. But the reset was stuck on 58% for about an hour. So I had to force shutdown it, after turning it on, it installed windows and booted up as if everything was okay.
    During installation of basic apps programs my laptop felt very laggy. It sometimes take very long to restart or shutdown. Apps take very long to open. What do I do? I am assuming the HDD or optane memory is damaged, and I have spare 256GB M.2 SSD which I am not sure if I should replace it. Or should I reset the laptop again? (wonder if it still going to freeze during reset). I am not huge tech savvy, so please help. Any ideas would be appreciated.

2. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    When you Reset it did you remove everything or keep your files? If you kept your files it is possible that you still have malware so I would start with the following:

Download MiniToolBox by Farbar and save it to your desktop.
    Run as Administrator to start the tool
    1. Select to Run All options
    2. Click Go and wait patiently
    3. Upon completion (a reboot may be needed) a file called Result.txt will be saved on your desktop.
    4. Upload or Paste the Results.txt to your next reply
    Rkill
    1. Download Rkill from the below link.
      https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/rkill/I
    2. Double click on Rkill program to stop the malicious programs from running
    3. RKill will now start working in the background, please be patient while it looks for malicious process and tries to end them
    4. When the Rkill tool has completed its task, it will generate a log
    5. Do Not Reboot your computer or the malware programs will start again
    6. Upload or Paste your Log file to next reply
    Adware Cleaner
    Download Adware Cleaner to your desktop.
    Important! close all open programs and internet browsers
    1. Double click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool
    2. Right-click on program and select Run As Administrator.
    3. Click on the scan button
    4. When the scan is ready click on the Clean button
    5. Upload or Paste the log in your next reply.
    Junkware Removal Tool
    • Please close your security software to avoid potential conflicts. See Here how to disable you security protection (Anti Virus)
    • Run the tool by double-clicking it. If you are using Windows Vista or 7, right-mouse click it and select Run as administrator.
    • The tool will open and start scanning your system.
    • Please be patient as this can take a while to complete, depending on your system's specifications.
    • On completion, a log (JRT.txt) is saved to your Desktop and will automatically open.
    • Please post the contents of JRT.txt into your reply.
    Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to your desktop.
    https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/
    • Launch Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Then click Finish.
    • If an update is found, you will be prompted to download and install the latest version.
    • Once the program has Started
    • Click on the Settings button
    • Click on Protection tab
    • Enable the Scan for rootkits
    • select Scan now. Or select the Threat Scan from the Scan menu.
    • When the scan is complete , make sure that that all Threats are selected, and click Remove Selected.
    • Reboot your computer if prompted.
    • After the restart, Open Malwarebytes
    • Click on the History tab > Application Logs.
    • Double click on the Scan Log which shows the Date and time of the scan just performed.
    • Click 'Export'.
    • Click 'Text file (*.txt)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1214970

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice