1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

pc freeze on inserting cd

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by mebalshaw, Dec 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mebalshaw

mebalshaw Thread Starter

I have a problem in that sometimes when I insert a cd the drive will start and the pc will freeze. Nothing I try will restart it and I have to switch off and on again to regain control. It dosn't happen every time, usually after I change cd's 2 or 3 times. I have two drives (a cd and rewrite dvd) and it happnes of both of them. It has been happening on and off over the last few weeks, but I recently had to re-intall windows and that has made it worse. I can't see itbeing a hardware fault as it happens on both drives and everything else is ok.

I would very much appreciate some suggestions as I am running out of things to try.

2. toddsyr

toddsyr

I can't solve your problem, but maybe I can help you. Post some more info such as the brands of the drives, which version of Windows you're using, and some info on your PC. Then you may get help a bit faster from someone. T.

3. mebalshaw

mebalshaw Thread Starter

OK more information.

I am fairly certain the the problem is software related, as it started several months ago but was only spasmodic, and usually only occurred on one drive. The computer is a Dell dimension 8300 with a samsung cd drive and an nec 1100a dvd re-writer. I use windows XP SP2, but the problem started a long time before I upgraged to SP. It has however got much worse following an upgrade from windows home to professional (the upgrade wasn't for that but for another reason).

The drive will start to read the disc and then the whole pc freezes, not even reset will work and I have to turn it off. I have tried disabling the drives in the hardware profile, but itmakedno difference. It happens on both drives but not on the virtual drives which I also use (with alcohol 120%).

Apart from the usual burning software (roxio, nero etc) I don't really have anything special on the pc that I can think would cause this.

Let me knowif you want any more info.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!