1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC Freezes All the Time Making Me Hard Restart the Computer

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by equiknox, Aug 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. equiknox

equiknox Thread Starter

Hey guys,

I know there's a million articles out there on freezing computer remedies but none of the answers have worked so far. I'll start with my PC Specs:

CPU: AMD FX-8320
    CPU Cooler: Hyper EVO 212
    Graphics: Nvidia gtx 780
    SSD: 128Gb Samsung 840 Series (Windows 10 boots on)
    HDD: 2 tb Seagate st2000
    RAM: 16Gb of ddr3
    PSU: 650W
    MOBO: ASRock 970 Extreme 4
    Audio: Focusrite USB Audio

So I think I've narrowed it down to my computer completely locking up and freezing whenever I'm playing games or whenever I have a couple of high CPU usage programs open (Cubase / YouTube) or whenever I play video games (CSGO / Youtube). I have dual monitors so I run youtube at the same time as I play games. I've also run HWMonitor whilst playing WoW and a movie or something, and the CPU only gets to like 45 degrees Celsius and my GPU maxes out around 73 C.

Whenever it freezes, there's no coming back, there's no consistency of when it's about to happen and the num lock doesn't respond either. The computer has frozen up even when I was running a full virus scan on my computer forcing me to restart.

I thought it might be my focusrite scarlett 2i2 that I use as my sound card as the issue but its not. I've fully dusted and reapplied thermal paste countless times and still no whammy. I've updated all my drivers (GPU, OS, Audio Drivers, etc.). I've run full virus scans and no virus's that the computer detected.

I have checked the event log, and the only "critical" error is Kernel-power event 41 and I believe that is because I'm forced to turn my computer off the wrong way by holding down the power button instead of properly turning it off.

This has been going on for a long time and it's very frustrating. If I can just figure out the issue, I'd be happy to replace the part. Is it my hard drive that's crashing? Do I need more RAM? Is the computer getting too hot? Is my graphics card too hot? Is there not enough wattage going from the PSU to the rest of the computer? Is my mobo and CPU out of date? I am truly at a lost gentlemen.

Strees test: https://imgur.com/a/LWJEN1V
    Occt results: https://imgur.com/R6EC7cB
    My case:
    https://www.thermaltake.com/products-model.aspx?id=C_00001951

Thank you in advanced!

2. elitetechsvc

elitetechsvc

First Name:
    Aaron
    What brand PSU is it that you have? How many sticks of RAM? Have you overclocked your CPU or GPU?

Just to narrow down the culprits, I'd do a full sector scan (I use WD Lifeguard personally) on both the SSD and HD to make sure everything is good. You can also use Crystal Disk Info for a quick check.

If everything is good there, try removing all but 1 stick of memory and try that, might run slower due to the load you put on it.

None of the temperatures you show are high enough to cause a problem (that is if they are reading correctly).

3. equiknox

equiknox Thread Starter

Alright so I got both passing scores on the HDD and SSD with WD Lifegaurd.

I have 2 sticks of 8gb RAM (ballistix sport ddr3)
    My PSU is Corsair TX650

So you think I should have only 1 stick of 8gb ram in? What would that do? just curious

Thanks!

4. lynx1021

lynx1021

You could test your memory with Memtest 86 http://www.memtest86.com/technical.htm
    Create a bootable CD-ROM, Also an option to run it as a bootable USB
    In my opinion it is best to run it overnight unless you show errors then stop
    You have to extract it and burn it as an ISO "
    Create a bootable CD-ROM, Also an option to run it as a bootable USB

1.Download the Windows MemTest86 ISO image.

2.Right click on the downloaded file and select the "Extract to Here� option. This places the CD-ROM ISO image into the current folder.

3.Use the CD burning software available on your system to create a CD-ROM using the extracted ISO image. Be sure that you create a CD image from the ISO file rather than placing a copy of the ISO file onto a data CD. Look for �Burn Image from File� or similar option under the File menu of your CD burning software.

5. equiknox

equiknox Thread Starter

Alright, so I did all this, booted it to a USB actually and I ran the tests on both (two 8gb) sticks individually on theee separate passes and it said there are no errors. I even used the Windows memory diagnostics program and it said no errors but I have a strong feeling that it actually IS my RAM.

It mainly crashes/freezes when I’m playing memory intense game or doing music production. Maybe it’s a combo of both my Scarlett Focusrite trash drivers and a bad RAM stick?! I don’t know :/

Thoughts?

6. elitetechsvc

elitetechsvc

First Name:
    Aaron
    Remove those particular drivers you are talking about and the audio card and try that, process of elimination at this point.

7. equiknox

equiknox Thread Starter

So I bought new sticks of RAM and the PC froze 30 minutes into playing games so I'm returning the RAM. I uninstalled the soundblaster audio card and the focusrite drivers. I updated my BIOS, windows 10, and my graphics card. I went through every single device in my Device Manager and "updated drivers" and they were all already updated and STILL my PC freezes even during the most random of times.

I'm thinking 3 things:
    1. I have a virus and I need to clean wipe my computer
    2. I have a bad CPU / Mobo / GPU and new to change one of them out
    3. The SSD I boot windows on is bad somehow?
    I literally have no clue

8. elitetechsvc

elitetechsvc

First Name:
    Aaron
    1. I have never known a virus to cause that problem so consistently.
    2. Bad CPU isn't likely, mono is a possibility but if that's the only problem I wouldn't put it at the top of the list. Your GPU would be the likely culprit out of those three, if you have another GPU of any sorts you can try out that would be a good idea.
    3. What brand SSD? You can do a full test on it to rule that out.

9. equiknox

equiknox Thread Starter

I unfortunately do not have another GPU I could test out. I could always buy one and see if it works fine and then return it if it doesn't.
    It is a Samsung SSD 840 Series 120gb. What program would you recommend?

10. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    Please follow the steps below to help troubleshoot your system. Let me know if you have any questions.

Step 1:
    Download Speccy to your desktop

1. File > Publish Snapshot. This saves your snapshot to their servers
    2. Copy and Paste the link to your next Reply

Step 2:
    1. Click on Start menu
    2. Type command to start searching
    3. Right click on command prompt in list and select Run as Administrator
    4. Copy and Paste each the commands 1-3 below into the command prompt and press Enter key

1. sfc /scannow (best to run 2-3 times, rebooting after each time)

2. (Windows 8 or higher)
    dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

If any Errors are found with sfc /scannow then:
    Copy and Paste the following command, and press ENTER:
    findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt"
    This will copy sfcdetails.txt to your desktop
    Upload sfcdetails.txt file

3. Copy and paste the following command into the Command Prompt​
    Code:
    @Echo off 
    If Not Exist "%userprofile%\desktop\SystemDiagnostics" (
    MD "%userprofile%\desktop\SystemDiagnostics"
    )
    dxdiag /t %userprofile%\desktop\SystemDiagnostics\dxdiag.txt&systeminfo > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\SystemDiagnostics\systeminfo.txt"&msinfo32 /nfo "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\SystemDiagnostics\msinfo32.nfo"&wevtutil qe system "/q:*[System [(Level=1 or Level=2 or Level=3)]]" /f:text /c:20 /rd:True > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\SystemDiagnostics\SystemEventlog.txt"&wevtutil qe application "/q:*[System [(Level=1 or Level=2 or Level=3)]]" /f:text /c:20 /rd:True > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\SystemDiagnostics\ApplicationEventlog.txt"&wmic /output:"%userprofile%\desktop\SystemDiagnostics\Software.txt" product get Name, Version&wmic /namespace:\\root\SecurityCenter2 path AntiVirusProduct get * /value > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\SystemDiagnostics\Antivirus.txt"&reg export "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall" "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\SystemDiagnostics\uninstall.txt"&If Exist "%SystemRoot%\minidump\*.dmp" copy %SystemRoot%\minidump\*.dmp "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\SystemDiagnostics"&taskkill /F /IM cmd.exe

1. This command will create a new folder on your Desktop called SystemDiag
    2. Compress files into a .zip file Systemdiag.zip
    3. Upload the Systemdiag.zip file from your desktop to your reply
    Step 3:
    Download Process Explorer to your desktop
    1. Right Click on the procexp64.exe or procexp.exe and Select Run As Administrator
    2. In the View menu click on Select Columns
    3. Check Verified Signer, Virus Total on Process Image Tab
    4. Select the Process I/O tab and check Reads, Rights and click OK
    5. Select Options Menu and Check Verify ImageSignatures, VirusTotal.com > Check Virustotal.com
    6. Double Click on the CPU Column to sort by highest CPU usage.
    7. (Highest CPU Processes should be at the top once sorted properly)
    8. Wait approximately a minute
    9. Select Save or Save As from the File menu
    10. Save SystemIdleProcess.txt to Desktop
    11. Upload file to your reply
    Step 4:
    How to perform a clean boot in Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Let us know if it works much better in this mode?

11. equiknox

equiknox Thread Starter

Attached Files:

12. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    Okay I will check all this out. Did you happen to test using Clean boot method above to see if the freezing stops?

13. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    I am not sure if this is your issue or not, but I helped someone a few weeks ago on a BSOD and it turned out to be his Focusrite device drivers. I recommend disconnected or disabling it as a test. Also see the following links for some other troubleshooting help.

https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en...B-interface-connection-and-performance-issues

https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en...ibility-with-Windows-10-Fall-Creators-Update-

If these do not help then, it looks like you had a BSOD on 8/31 but there are no minidump files. Follow the Driver Verifier guide below and upload the minidump when you get a BSOD.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/fo...erifier-bsod-related-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

14. equiknox

equiknox Thread Starter

Man, so I tried all this, tried the clean boot, reinstalled drivers for focusrite, optimized windows 10 for focurite drivers and it still freezes. Then I just unplugged the focusrite scarlett 2i2 and used my graphics card (NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible)(WDM)) as the default audio driver.

Yesterday I was playing Rainbow Six Siege for 6 hours straight while on Discord and it didnt freeze on me once. Now today, it has frozen twice. I even bought and installed 2 fans inside my chasis to increase air flow and cool things down. Luckily I had Speccy running while it froze and here are the results https://imgur.com/gallery/mzgXAgF (taken with my phone while the computer was frozen.)

I was also reading somewhere that my graphics card might not be getting enough power from my PSU because of a 6-pin plug that should be an 8-pin plug? Could that be possible? Here's the quote:

15. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    Nvidia GTX 980. I guess it is possible. but it looks like you should be okay for the PSU
    Thermal and Power Specs:
    95 CMaximum GPU Temperature (in C)
    250 WGraphics Card Power (W)
    600 WMinimum Recommended System Power (W)
    One 8-pin and one 6-pinSupplementary Power Connectors

Did you still have your system in clean boot and Focusrite device unplugged when it froze the last time?

Follow the Driver Verifier guide below and upload the minidump when you get a BSOD.
    https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/fo...erifier-bsod-related-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1215123

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice