1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC freezes at Boot Menu

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by basst42, Nov 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. basst42

basst42 Thread Starter

I can't seem to get my system started.
    Compaq Presario desktop -

When I boot up, the PC freezes at the COMPAQ boot up screen - Most of the time the keyboard doesn't work so I can't strike any key to continue.

Here is what I've tried so far -
    I removed every piece of HW from the MOBO (Keyboard, mouse, printers, NIC, all optical drives, clear the CMOS settings and replaced the Power supply - I reomoved my HD and attached it to an external reader and was able to back up all my data. Reconnect my HD and only my HD. When I try to boot up it's still stuck on that COMPAQ boot screen -

Anybody with any other idea??? Could this be MOBO issue?
    Foxconn motherboard n15235 ,are there any real know issues with this board?

2. asyrafhm

asyrafhm

it could be:

1. hard drive - bad sectors from loading the OS. try scan your hard drive with any software e.g. diskkeeper. or try another hard disk if you have any.
    2. motherboard issues - any internal hardware failure (damaged) can caused this problem due to overheating and etc. try boot up without hard disk drive, optical drive and any plug and play hardware such audio card/graphic card.

its only suggestions, i hope it will helps.

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Diskkeeper is a defragger and will do nothing to a possibly bad drive except scramble the files so that they are not recoverable if the disk really has a problem.

Have you tried System Restore (possibly available from your recovery environment) or chkdsk /r (available from a command line in the same place)?

Any history to this problem or other problems with the machine before this happened?

4. Mark1956

Mark1956

I would suggest running the hard drive diagnostics from the manufacturer. This boot disc can be created on another PC and it will also demonstrate if the PC can be booted successfully.

Identify the make of your hard drive and then use one of the links below to get the manufacturer's diagnostics for ISO (CD) not the one for Windows.
    When the download is complete right click the file and select Extract Here and burn the image to a CD.
    In Windows 7 right click the extracted file, select Open With, then select Windows Disc Image Burning Tool then follow the prompts. For all other versions of windows (if you do not have an ISO burner) download this free software. ImgBurn
    Install the program and start the application. Select the top left hand option to burn image file to disk and then on the next window click on the small yellow folder icon and browse to the file you have downloaded from the links below. Then click on the two grey discs with the arrow in between (bottom left) and leave it to complete the operation.
    Boot the PC into the Bios setup and set the CD/DVD drive to 1st in the boot sequence. Insert the disk in the drive then reboot and the disc will load into dos.
    Excelstore
    Hitachi/IBM
    Samsung
    Seagate, Maxtor & Quantum
    Western Digital
    Toshiba/Fujitsu
    If you have a Toshiba/Fujitsu hard drive I would suggest the use of the diagnostics from the Seagate link as this will work on all makes of drive and on any OS.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028286

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice