1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC freezes during set up...

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by taf66, Jan 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. taf66

taf66 Thread Starter

I finally got my friends HP pavillion a1629 to boot up on start up after many problems with viruses ,during set up and after removing one of the 1gb rams which proved to be faulty.only for it freeze.
    Anyhows the pc tends to have a mind of its own,the first time it froze 60% through loading files,the second time it went all through the first part,restarted itself and had 23 mins left before completion then the dvd drive shut down and the hard drive light stayed on and it wouldn't do owt,i had to hold the reset button in for a count of 6 before it would turn off...
    Since its still freezing in different parts of the set up, and now after loading so much it will come up a blue screen, with memory management error...
    Is 1gb memory enough to run a set up when its use to 2 gb??

Is it worth continuing trying to get this pc running,or have i got major problems with processor,motherboard etc??
    It seems everytime we sort one bit out another problem arises.

Please help.
    Thanks

2. Megabite

Megabite

Is the Operating System disc clean and any scratches on it.......try cleaning it

What are Operating System are you trying to load?

I Gb is low for VIsta as 2 Gb is suggested but I would think that would stop you loading it

3. taf66

taf66 Thread Starter

Thanks for replying :)
    The operation system is a xp media centre which was copied from the pc when first bought 4 years ago and has been kept in its case.so scratch free etc..
    I just tried it again,and it went to 29 mins before completion then a blue screen came up with usual system has been shut down etc.
    It did say at the bottom about memory dump but i turned it off in disgust before i wrote down what it said...
    Is it worth investing in another 1gb ram or do you think its something else??
    Thanks

4. Megabite

Megabite

As you have access to another PC ...you could try Memtest86......you will have to burn a CD ISO image...so hopefully you have the burning software to do that...put the CD in the drive and it will run a test on the memory.

http://www.memtest86.com/download.html

Also that recovery disc has it ever been tested before or is this the first time it has been used....as it could be the disc

5. taf66

taf66 Thread Starter

First time use with this disc,i have recently tried loading xp home with the same outcome??

Thanks for the link,i will try that next. :)

6. taf66

taf66 Thread Starter

Well after trying memtest,it wouldn't do owt,it started up then stopped grrr!! so still none the wiser.
    I've tried loading set up again since and then was getting STOP 0x0000007e.... reset the bios,it then booted up went through to 35 mins remaining and froze again!!! arghhhh!!!

7. blakcshadow

blakcshadow

try using two known good sticks of ram, and try a USB cd drive

see if a linux liveCD would work, and if it allows you to keep a running LiveOS

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974789

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice