1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC freezes for 20 seconds on a black screen after loading bar during boot up.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by LiquidFrostbite, Dec 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LiquidFrostbite

LiquidFrostbite Thread Starter

It JUST recently started doing this.. I've ran virus/malware scans using Avira/MalwareBytes. I've cleaned out all the dust from the inside of my tower, my temps are excellent all-around.

It's really strange, almost makes it seem as if the computer is not going to boot up... Right after the windows loading bar, it will switch to a black screen JUST before the windows logon/password page, and it will just hang for about 20-30 seconds before switching over the the login screen.

Any idea what could be causing this?
    ---
    [email protected] | MSI Twin Frozr II GTX [email protected]/1800 | 4GB DDR3-1333MHz | nForce 790i Ultra Sli | Windows 7 Ultimate x64

2. Megabite

Megabite

Howdy,

But after the black screen it boots up OK and runs OK?

3. LiquidFrostbite

Well, not really.. But I was trying to keep it simple so you guys didn't get overwhelmed with all the issues.

When this first started happening.. After I would input my password and start to log in, the whole computer would sometimes freeze at the "Please Wait..." screen. The loading circle would freeze, and I could hear the HDD stop working.

That issue pretty much hasn't happened in a LONG TIME.

But the main issue I'm getting is.. Sometimes the entire computer will just freeze at the desktop.. Forcing me into a hard shutdown..

This happened once in about probably 30 reboots.. But.. I had it load to the desktop during a boot at one point, and the entire computer shut itself down, as if somebody pulled the plug on the PSU.

But it's completely random as to what happens.. Sometimes it will randomly freeze at desktop.. Other times it will freeze while I'm gaming.. I actually had the entire PC shut itself down while I was gaming, as well..

The weird thing about the shutdown was.. It almost seemed in unison with something I was doing IN the game.. I was playing Rift, a beta for an MMO.. And during a quest.. I had to step into a golden light that I believe triggered a movie cutscene.. RIGHT as the cutscene was triggered, the computer powered itself down.

I cleaned all the dust out of my computer and I don't seem to be having any temperature issues.

My usual temps:

(Idle)
    Mobo: 29
    CPU: 11
    GPU: 34
    MCP: 46
    SPP: 49

(Gaming)
    Mobo: 46
    CPU: 32
    GPU: 67
    MCP: 56
    SPP: 54

- There WAS a new Windows Update for Windows 7 about two nights ago, but I'm not sure if that's related.

4. Megabite

Megabite

Your video card seems to getting very warm

5. LiquidFrostbite

I never considered 60's to be high for a modern day GPU. Supposedly they support up to 90 degrees without damage.

Nonetheless, I'm freezing up at my desktop when the GPU is only at about 32 degrees.

6. Megabite

Megabite

Is that while playing a game?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!