1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

pc freezes for a few seconds occassionally

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Mooncatt, Apr 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mooncatt

Mooncatt Thread Starter

Hi all.
    Kinda banging my head against a wall here. every so often when browsing the net, opening up a hard drive etc the pc will freeze for a few seconds and then come back. here is what ive done so far.....
    memtest = clean
    bad sectors = clean
    temp check on cpu and gfx = clean
    anti virus = clean (Avira, malwarebytes)
    HDD defrag
    avg tuneup
    i even did a clean install of OS which seemed to do the trick for a while then the problem returned.
    all drivers up to date (i dont suffer any freezes while im gaming only when im doing something on the pc itself i.e opening a program, browsing one of my harddrives etc) also when it does freeze i get the spinnin circle thing telling me its busy, while it is frozen i can open up the taskmanager and see that my cpu isnt busy at all and the ram is also fine.
    here are my system specs
    1050w viper PSU 80+
    AMD Phenom II X6 Thuban core
    8Ghz DDR3 1600mhz corsair ram
    ASrock 990fx extreme 3 mobo
    GTX 770 gfx card
    Mushkin Chronos 120gb SSD (i know not to defrag)
    standard 1tb and 500gig HDDs
    Thermalright Archon 2 cooler
    the case also has 1 front fan and 2 rear fans.
    anyone got any ideas as to what is causing these freezes as im all out of ideas
    many thanks in advance

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

presuming that the active anti virus is Avira and malwarebytes is the free scan on demand OR the active paid for version

What aspects of AVG do you have installed
    The whole program is IMHO GARBAGE
    AVG Tune UP

Unleash hidden Windows® power

It’s not just the programs that slow down your PC. There are also many hidden parts of Windows that constantly beg for your PC’s precious resources. Using Turbo Mode can stop Windows features from slowing down your PC.
    Turbo Mode

Turns off more than 70 invisible & often unneeded features in Windows® such as Media Player sharing, pen recognition, or remote assistance processes.

It’s simply the best tool for above-average performance when designing, video editing, gaming, or programming whether you use Windows 8.1, 7, or XP.

IF THAT or any other such program, could be 100% guaranteed to work and NOT cause any problems, then it would be fantastic.
    Unfortunately the truth is that they do NOT work, without the risk of something going wrong.

If that is on the computer and running - uninstall it and then see what happens

If there is no improvement when you post back we will examine other possible causes.

3. Macboatmaster

Re my last, EDIT of

To clear up any ambiguity - The whole program of AVG Tune Up is IMHO garbage and it is not just the AVG product, all of these automated so called system boosters etc, are best left of the computer.

Whilst I do not like AVG anti-virus, my opinion, which of course is only an opinion, refers to AVG Tune Up

4. Mooncatt

Mooncatt Thread Starter

ok mate, thanks for the reply, ill uninstall it and see if it clears it up :)

5. Macboatmaster

Cheers
    Will wait to hear from you

6. Mooncatt

Mooncatt Thread Starter

right, i decided it was time for a change anyway, just bought an i5 4690k devils canyon, asus maximus VII ranger mobo and 16gb of corsair vengeance ram. still running the GTX770 and 1050w viper psu 80+

im still getting these freezes. ive checked my ssd and Hdds for errors and done speed tests for them, all is ok, just cant figure out whats going on.

7. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Do you get these freezes only when you are on the internet?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1147266

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice