PC freezes on startup

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Jim418

My PC (HP a6634f) has just started freezing on startup. It stops at a blue splash screen that says HP Invent and has several F-key options: http://www.sevenforums.com/attachments/customization/13681-hp-start-up-screen-c01413989.jpg

None of the F-keys work (as in hitting those keys doesn't do anything).

So far I've
  • disconnected every peripheral other than HDD (DVD drives, card readers, front panel USB/firewire)
  • switch the graphics card back to original
  • removed 2 sticks of RAM (leaving 2), then removed the other 2 (leaving 2)
These changes had no impact. I did not make any recent changes to my hardware or software.

Help!

Did this just happen or did you change something?

switch the graphics card back to original

Jim418

I didn't change anything (just realized I had left that out and added it to the first post)

Switching the card back to original was one of the things I tried to see if my replacement graphics card was the problem area.

Specs seem to say it has....I would take out the Video card and try the integrated graphics.......as first inline to try

Jim418

I'll try that when I get home.

With the replacement card (not the original card that came with the PC), when I start the PC it would flash the video card "specs" in the top left before the HP Invent blue screen. It has always done that and continues to do that even now. Not sure that is an indicator that it isn't the problem, but thought I would note it anyways.

Understood.......but nice to eliminate it........can you get into Bios?

Jim418

If that is where you get by hitting F8 on startup, no luck there either.

Getting worried it is one of the motherboard or HDD.

Jim418

I'll try removing the graphics card first, but I do have an external HD enclosure that I could pop it into to check that out.

I've also read that the powersupply could cause this sort of problem?

Jim418

So I put the HDD in the external enclosure and connected to this laptop via USB and it doesn't recognize it. I switched it back to the DVD drive that was in the external enclosure and it did recognize the DVD drive. So it isn't the external enclosure.

The HDD is spinning (I can hear and feel it).

Comments? The unit is about 14 months old (2 months past the 1 year warranty of course)`

Jim418

I don't have another desktop in the home, but could see if I can get someone to help me out.

Anything else I should try in the meantime?

The motherboard does have a VGA port but it is covered with a piece of plastic that says "Do Not Remove".

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online