1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC Freezes or Doesn't Boot at all

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BlueSmurf, Jul 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BlueSmurf

BlueSmurf Thread Starter

The Boring, Probably Useless Story
    I was updating WoW when it froze on me about 85% of the way. Probably the first time it completely froze on me(couldn't move mouse, ctrl+alt+del didn't do anything). So I restarted and tried updating again but froze on me at 15%. Being tired and frustrated I went to bed and woke up hoping it would be fine. It froze while booting up winXP(just as the loading screen was fading in). So I stripped it down as far as I could and switched out different parts that I had spares of but have had no luck.

The Problem
    My computer freezes within about 1min of booting up or usually not booting up at all even when I stripped my computer down(specs below). It almost always boots up for a min if I keep it off for a couple mins beforehand. If I don't let it rest, it usually won't boot(the lights and fans are on but monitor stays blank). It acts like it overheats but when I check the temps in BIOS(when I can boot up) it never goes higher than 45 degrees celsius and the cpu heatsink only feels warm. I was able to keep it on when I turned off the auto shutdown when cpu gets too hot in BIOS but it wouldn't boot once I plugged in my drives and now acts the same with or without the drives connected. I've also tried clearing CMOS with the jumper.

My Questions
    Is there anything else I can do to try and fix or find out whats freezing it up?
    Which component(s) do you think could be locking up that I need to replace?
    Is the CPU a possible suspect?(hope not)

PC Specs - Stripped Down
    AMD Athlon 64 3200+ cpu
    ECS 755-A2 motherboard
    ATI Radeon 9600se agp slot (also tried a Radeon 7000 agp)
    1gb ram(2x512mb) (also tried each one separately)
    500watt psu
    and just a monitor, keyboard, the power switch, and cpu fan connected

Any suggestions appreciated and thankyou all in advance.

2. Rich-M

Rich-M

ECS motherboard...goodluck. Have you run memtest on the memory?
    That should be first step:
    http://www.memtest.org/
    I would take everything out all pci cards, all but 1 hard drive, 1 ram stick, psu, and video card and see how you do...if fine then add back one by one devices till you find problem but when all is said and done, you will most likely replace the motherboard.

3. onsite

onsite

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

I see little difference and would rather have a really old system with a PIII then anything ECS makes.

5. onsite

onsite

That's fine , look at my sig ( click it ) the pc on the bottom left has this mainboard in it
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/CustratingReview.asp?item=N82E16813135221

look at the ratings, the ones that said it sucked, probably broke the mainboard do to inexperience. Then they try to return the mainboard.

It is running windwos 2003 , with one ide PATA and 2 SATA RAID drives,

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

An ECS mobo with Via chipset for Intel? I cannot imagine anyone even considering buying such crap!

And this means what?

7. onsite

onsite

Dude it was just a cheap ( in price) sytem I threw together. It works great for what I built it for. VIA has been making chipsets for Intel based PC's for a long, long, long , long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long,long,long time. In fact it would be a good chance that the PIII system you wanted, might have a VIA chipset.

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

All Via is complete garbage, in my opinion, and I have not bought anything requiring a Via chipset in over 4 years since I had 3 bad 1394 cards that would not work with Via chipsets and rma's them all. A Via chipset or Sis chipset is a reason to not buy whatever it is for me. And an Intel board with a Via chipset when Intel makes a ton of chipsets, shows a board manufacturer who is cheaper than cheap. I mean Amd no longer makes chipsets, you have no choice but why would anyone buy a board for Intel that does not have an Intel chipset also.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/484734

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice