1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC freezes (stalls).

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by hackYou, May 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hackYou

hackYou Thread Starter

Hi guys,

I m new here and i got some problems with my pc. It s a 9 year old HP Compaq, dual core 2.4, new hdd, 2 gb ram.
    Yes, I know it s tooo okd but at the moment i don t have the money for a jew one. Just about 3 weeks my laptop kicked the bucket, that s why i turned back to this old crap.
    It worked fine for a couple of days but now it freezes when playing videos. Just stops, sometime s i can move the mouse pointer sometimes not and sometimes a strange noise comes from the PC case.
    When not playing videos it actually works preety good but the thing is i need to watch some video tutorials right now because i m working on my bachelor thesis.

So what i m asking is this: do you have any idea where that sound could come from, or why does it even freeze and the most important question of all, is my life in danger? Can a bad PSU for example electricute the whole case or something?
    Oh and btw. I firmly believe it s a hardware problem because the same thing happened with xp and lubuntu.

Thank You for any replies!

2. trogdo

trogdo

Download CPUZ and see what temperatures it reads; solving this problem could be as easy as taking the back off and cleaning the fluff out (doing that wouldn't hurt anyway).

If it runs cool enough, well, video compression is far more sophisticated now than it was 9 years ago, what was high-end then will likely struggle with today's codec demands.

3. trogdo

trogdo

Another thing, having tried about a dozen linux distros (lubuntu and xubuntu included) on a laptop of similar spec and age, I settled on 32-bit Mint linux, give it a shot, it might make all the difference.

4. hackYou

hackYou Thread Starter

Thank You for your time. I ll try Cou Z right away and see what happens.

Tomorrow i ll give mint a try too.

5. trogdo

trogdo

You're very welcome, keep us posted.

6. hackYou

hackYou Thread Starter

Hi trogdo (and others),

sorry I couldn't get back sooner but I've been very busy the last couple of days.

So I downloaded Cpu Z just like you suggested but there was no temperature on it (?).

Anyhow, it's kinda strange to see that this PC only freezes when playing HD videos (the ones I need are!). I connected it to the internet just to try and see what happens when Youtube videos are played and found out that it plays videos on 480p or lower all day long but as soon as the quality is increased to 720p (or higher) it freezes after a couple of minutes.

I borrowed a tablet from a friend so I can play the videos on that and do my other stuff on this ancient thing what was called a PC a long time ago.

Another thing. I took your advice and installed Mint 17 on my laptops hdd with an enclosure (laptop died a couple of weeks ago) and I have to say, even though it is a little bit heavier than Lubuntu, I like it way better.

Thank You.

7. trogdo

trogdo

Cool, glad you liked Mint! It's got a load of nifty system tray plug-ins preinstalled, one of them being CPU and HDD temperature sensor readouts. Bottom right on mine in the attached screen capture.

Try downloading HWMonitor from here. I have it on a separate small screen when gaming and such, to keep an eye on stuff and things, it reads temps of HDD, CPU, motherboard, GPU and whatever other sensors it can find, as well as fan speeds and system loads.

Attached Files:

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!