1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

pc freezes whilst on yahoo chat

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by katyjagger, Dec 11, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. katyjagger

katyjagger Thread Starter

my pc freezes whilst on yahoo chat, I have to switch it off at the mains, and sometimes when I switch it back on at the mains and pess the button on the hard drive nothing happens!

2. beach51

beach51

Hi katyjagger,lets have a look at your startup programs.Go to Start>run>type in msinfo32,click ok,Click on the + sign next to software environment,click on startup tab,click edit select all,edit,copy and paste the page back here.

3. katyjagger

I can get to the copy bit in youre instructions but I cant paste I back here

4. beach51

beach51

Hi katyjagger,did you try and right click,then choose paste.?

5. katyjagger

*StateMgr c:\windows\system\restore\statemgr.exe All Users HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
    AOL Instant Messenger (TM) c:\program files\netscape\communicator\program\aim\aim.exe -cnetwait.odl default HKU\default\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    ClickTheButton "c:\program files\bonzibuddy\ctb.exe" All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    DXM6Patch_981116 c:\windows\p_981116.exe /q:a All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    LoadPowerProfile rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,loadcurrentpwrscheme All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    LoadPowerProfile rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,loadcurrentpwrscheme All Users HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
    LoadQM loadqm.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    Lotus SuiteStart c:\lotus\smartctr\suitest.exe /len default Startup
    Lotus SuiteStart c:\lotus\smartctr\suitest.exe /len .DEFAULT Startup
    LVComs c:\windows\system\lvcoms.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    MSMSGS "c:\progra~1\messen~1\msmsgs.exe" /background default HKU\default\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    PCHealth c:\windows\pchealth\support\pchschd.exe -s All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    RealTray c:\program files\real\realplayer\realplay.exe systemboothideplayer All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    ScanRegistry c:\windows\scanregw.exe /autorun All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    SchedulingAgent mstask.exe All Users HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
    SSDPSRV c:\windows\system\ssdpsrv.exe All Users HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
    StillImageMonitor c:\windows\system\stimon.exe All Users HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
    SystemTray systray.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    Taskbar Display Controls rundll deskcp16.dll,quickres_rundllentry default HKU\default\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    Taskbar Display Controls rundll deskcp16.dll,quickres_rundllentry .DEFAULT HKU\.DEFAULT\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    TaskMonitor c:\windows\taskmon.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

6. beach51

beach51

Hi katyjagger,you have a spyware component called Bonzi Buddy.Plus you have to many programs running at startup.For the spyware,download a program called Ad-aware5.6(its free),this will check your system for spyware componnets,and remove them safely.You can get it here.

http://www.lavasoftusa.com

As for your startup page,go to this site,go down to msconfig,theres a list of programs there that will explain what you need at startup and what you dont.

www.Rselby.com/Windows.html

Let us know how this works for you.You should see a big differance in how your computer operates.

7. katyjagger

Thank you so much, this site is excellent im so glad I found it, could this be causing alot of other problems ive been having, such as diificulties logging on to sites etc?

8. beach51

beach51

Hi katyjagger,yes,spyware will cause alot of the problems your having.Thats why i asked to see your startup.Also having to much running at startup will cause you problems.You can read about spyware and what it does here.

www.cexx.org

Let us know how the computer runs after you remove the spyware and remove some of them startup programs.Just a note here,just because you stop a program from starting up doesnt mean you lose that program.You will still be able to run them from programs.

9. katyjagger

there were problems on the server last night and I couldnt get onto the site so I will try again today, thanx for all your help youve been fantasticxxx

10. beach51

beach51

Your welcome:D

11. katyjagger

Hi, I still cant get on to lavasoft ive been trying for ages but it says page cannot be displayed.Am I using the correct address?

http://www.lavasoftusa.com

12. beach51

beach51

HI Katyjagger,yes thats the right site.Seems like there down for some reason.You can get from cnet.com if you want,or just wait for the site to come back online.I can send you a copy if you want.Just send me a pm with your e-mail address,and i'll send it to you.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!