1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC Freezes with Word Save or Autosave

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by CoolAir, Dec 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CoolAir

CoolAir Thread Starter

Word appears to freeze my PC if an Autosave runs or often with a Save. I am running XP Pro, Office 2007, saving in Word 97-2003, 250GB HDD, 2GB RAM, I run the full MICROSOFT Update monthly. This problem is intermittent, but happens just about every day 1+ times. Process Lasso utility appears to show the CPU maxing out (gui in the start up tray). Ctrl+Alt+Del is useless; if I click Task Manager, itwill take me to a bare desktop (wallpaper only), but will not initiate the Task Manager. Alt+tab works, but only for the icon choices; other apps won't open. I have tried waiting for hours, but ultimately, the only option is a hard power down. I have also had this problem in Word 2003. Thanks:confused:

2. CoolAir

CoolAir Thread Starter

Forgot to mention I am running corporate McAfee and Symantec Protection Agent. These both are locked down by our corp InfoSec and cannot be configured by the user.

3. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Are you saving to a network drive when this happens?

4. CoolAir

CoolAir Thread Starter

No. Just saving to the internal drive.
    NOTE: Since I posted, I changed the setting on a troublesome document that is updated frequently to save in the 2007 .docx format instead of the Word 97-2003 format... just to see if that will help. I have a habit of saving in the 97-2003 format for fear that a user may not have 2007.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971409

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice