1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC Freezes

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gslater, Jan 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gslater

gslater Thread Starter

About 3 months ago my Dell tower, running Windows 7 Home Pro with dual monitors and cordless mouse, started freezing when using the Internet. It is at the point where it freezes almost instantly.

It doesn't matter what browser I used: IE, Chrome or Firefox, they all freeze.
    No applications freeze - Quicken, Word or Excel.

I had some issues with my home network router so I replaced it with a new DLink router.
    It still froze, usually as soon as you opened it up. Sometimes you use it for a sort while before it froze.
    I ran virus programs and spyware detectors which didn't find anything.
    I had the peripherals plugged into a KVM unit to control a second PC, so I detached everything and hooked them directly into the tower.
    It still froze.
    After discussing it with a PC guru, he suggested we wipe the tower clean and start from scratch.
    It took me almost a full day to get the software I needed back on - the key pieces are Quicken and Quickbooks, my wife does some bookkeeping for a local company.
    It still froze when going on the Internet.
    I removed the dual display card and plugged the main monitor into the native display adapter in the tower.
    It still froze.
    I had been using a Logitect wireless mouse so I removed that and put a regular cord powered mouse it its place.
    No change.
    As a last ditch effort I changed the USB port the mouse was using but that didn't fix it.

I don't see anything left to change or replace.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Here are the system details:
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-3220 CPU @ 3.30GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 3967 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, 1791 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 476709 MB, Free - 411506 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0XR1GT
    Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated and Enabled

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You appear to have a Dell Inspiron 660 desktop.

It's running Windows 7 64-bit with only 4 GB of RAM, and it looks like it's integrated graphics is using almost 2 GB of it.

You should max it out with 8 GB of RAM.

---------------------------------------------------------------

If you haven't already done it, open the case and make sure the processor heatsink cooling unit isn't clogged with dust and debris.

This can cause the processor to overheat and cause freezes and slowness.

---------------------------------------------------------------

3. replay

replay

i would test the memory........... u might have a bad stick
    download memtest
    make a bootable cd or thumbdrive
    then let run for a few hours

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1140622

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice